gassers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

gassers

Post by bob lico »

we are notified it`s all over no more big block mercruiser 454/502/496 .tonawanda stop production of the big block chevy so those of you fresh water cooled your ok however if salt water cooled you can count down the hours till the fat lady sings. engine buiders consider them junk. trust me if you look inside the water jacket at the bottom of the cylinders the saltwater simply just eats it away.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

Post by Raybo Marine NY »

from someone else:

With the stop production of the Big Block GenVI 8100 Vortec 496cu engine used in the GMC/Chevy HD trucks 2500 & up.

The world thinks the BBC as we know it is dead!

THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, they have stopped production "ASSEMBLY" of the complete 8100 engine for production use. And the big block will not be available in any production vehicle model.

The castings are still being produced. The HP 454/502/572 & big block line will be available for years to come.

SO all those running out to buy or get there hands on this misinformed news paying big prices are nothing more than handing over good money over panic that does not exist.

It's snowing, lets make a mad dash for milk & bread!!!!!!!

And for the record, none of the BBC GM Performance engines are or were assembled there.

And the BBC Gen VI Marine production is still wide open!!!!!!! This is major business for GM SPO and the Marine division. My old boss with GM now works in this department. I have spoken to him this morning. They think are having a good laugh. I am not the only one to call and ask the question. Even with the turn down of boat production they still have steady orders. The marine repair and engine replacement division has been growing.

Al

PS: I am posting this because of the seemed panic and people taking advantage of the situation with false information!
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

only one change yes the high performance big blocks were built there .it was my business all corvette big block serial numbers start out with to like mine 427 -400 hp tri- power (to 322 jf ---------chassie serial #) or the convertible 427-390 hp (to 322 il ------- chassie serial # WITH coupe desination 194377 . i wouldn`t panic but on the otherhand mercruiser is very willing to paid for cores it`s coming!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Bob I'm probably next to have one of them go on me, but I'll runem till they do! Then I'll win the lotto and put diesels in. Looks like my starboard has been gone through, (ethanol) and the serials are a match to both on the left rear of blocks so maybe that machine shop thought rust was at a minimum? Does Mercruiser have in mind to produce more in line with the MPI 6.2L , say for fuel burn reasons?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

yes there sales rep. indicated that was the future along with epa restrictions and obligations.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Raybo Marine NY

big block assembly, for new vehicles has stopped.

There is no way, in our lifetimes or your grand kids lifetimes, that you will not be able to purchase a new big block engine.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

for you robbie i have a real mark four 4 bolt main 454 stock bore with ten hours on it .i have it under my benth in the garage along with real oval port heads vintage 1968 all you have to do is ask!!!how ever if you want a 400 cubic inch 4 bolt main small block i have that too.------what some guys do for a paint job!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

I have a Chrysler 413 that I had freshly rebuilt that Im thinking of getting rid of, this engine was in fantastic shape BEFORE the rebuild, did not even have to bore the cylinders out.

I got it for my old Century Resorter, but to be perfectly honest I have zero interest in that project anymore. Talk about saltwater cooled big blocks- what if I told you the original 413 that was in that 1968 Resorter was still good? I would have had to go 30 over and I could not find good compression pistons for a pump gas marine engine in 30 over.

I ended up getting the other 413 that had never been used in a boat and went at that engine instead.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

robbie if you need .30 pistons or any other engine part just call.bill meese the co -owner of s&k lives upstate ny (with his 10 car garage) and still keeps his contacts .on the other hand i hope we can match the blue imron on the side of hull . on starboard side i have scrapes from the gaff and i have a big paint fracture if thats the right word where i hit a surmerge 50 gallon drum .looks like a glass windshield when hit by a hardball thats the best decription i could give you . un foutunatly the hit is in the center of the hull not near a end where you could just tape one edge i just hope that blue was a stock color .i never wax the boat since it was painted so that in my favor.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

its not that I could not get pistons, I think the only ones I could get were like 13:1 compression, no good for a pump gas marine engine in a 18' boat!

its a stock color, pastel colors need to be blended out further thats all.

I thought you guys had a painter there in the yard?
Capt Dick Dean

Post by Capt Dick Dean »

Junk yard engines ... that's what I call 'em. At present there all over the place. Cheap too!

But Bob, "say it ain't so".
Last edited by Capt Dick Dean on Dec 25th, '09, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
A/K/A El Gaupo
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

I'm not sure that I agree with "the first new big block in a decade...", butMercury Marine will be selling a new 8.2 (502 cu inch I think.)

http://mercurymarine.com/engines/inboar ... pi8-2l.php

Ian.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

robbie the yard fiberglass /painter man married a pa. women and she convince him to move to pa.at the present we are farming out the work to eli laminates whom has a big complex next to our boat sales location on montauk highway.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Raybo Marine NY

I had looked at a boat and it was supposed to come in for repairs and he said he ran into the painter from your place so he was bringing it there because he was also trading the boat in or getting another one ( jupiter ) - which he did.

I had mentioned I did not think you guys painted and that Eli was probably doing it for you, but he insisted it was a guy who worked there- makes sense now.

I had thought you guys said no more painting there, but I guess that was when things were better, now everyone is doing everything.
gplume

Post by gplume »

Kinda of reminds me of the first MAD MAX movie

Do you remember when Max picks up his car with the blower on it....

Somthing to the effect of ...."Its the last of the V8 Intercepter's Max..."

This just came to mind....don't know why.
Giff
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

robbie the painter/fiberglass man is bob grace .he is terrific fiberglass man like built a boat to small repair jobs that must be perfect with perfect gel-cote match because sometimes these are brand new boats scratch during transport or demo boat that is now sold and must look brand new.the owner rarely does and entire boat because to do so would tie up the entire maintenance building and there is boats going in and out all week for rigging or electronic installations .during inclement weather engine installations go on so no tie up of the main building.bob had run of the hold show but his wife missed her parants and the rest is history.eli does customer work on our premisis we are overweld every year the buoys become targets for the searays/carvers crowd.how many times can you repair paint the same swim platform. ----go in reverse till you here a crash then put in neutral and yell at your wife is S.O.P.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473