Dumb Environmental

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the cummins come from factory with no coolant or oil . they dyno it for 30 minutes drain all fluids and crate it for shipment with dyno results in envelope attached to engine.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Bob,

It might be a Yankee thing but every Cummins, Yanmar and Volvo engine I've got over the last 9 years have all had fluids.

I believe its a DOT reg to keep the fluids from contaminating should an accident occur and the Yankee truckers and shippers comply.

Down here no one gives a crap. I changed out an engine last week and the dist took the destroyed engine in trade and sent a pickup order with the delivery.

As the fork lift was loading it into the truck, stuffs leaking out of every orifice. Truck driver showed about 1/2 second concern handed out the paper work.

Since this was the owners deal and not mine I just looked on.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

bruce you are right it is a yankee thing also califonia. absolutely no engine shipment with fluids as a matter of fact yanmar put a big red warning tag tie wired to lifting point WARNING oil has been removed.if the yard spills 1/2 pint of fluid they must report it and no charges filed if they don`t and are caught $25,000 first offense.must lined entire bilge with absortion blankets when removing engines and they are kept in seperate bin remove by byproduct company.----not easy doing business in tree huging states!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Problem is it takes big money to pay off the regulation inspectors up there.
An unintended consequence of mob payoffs.

Hell theres more fluids spilled on a Sat night behind the stop and go down here than all year in California.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

two years ago a boat on the hard wrap up developed a gas leak thru a pin hole in a alluminum tank.lost between 1 and two gallons into the crushed rocked area of the yard (about 7 acres) . major escavation site!!! 20 ' deep and 25' in all directions . then put soil in 18wheel trucks and shipped to pa. they offload there and spread it out there on a rubber mat for 18 months . total cost $48,000 of boat owner insurance.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
scot

Post by scot »

two years ago a boat on the hard wrap up developed a gas leak thru a pin hole in a alluminum tank.lost between 1 and two gallons into the crushed rocked area of the yard (about 7 acres) . major escavation site!!! 20 ' deep and 25' in all directions . then put soil in 18wheel trucks and shipped to pa. they offload there and spread it out there on a rubber mat for 18 months . total cost $48,000 of boat owner insurance.
There is something deeply distrubing about enviro actions of that magnitude over 2 gallons of fuel when naturally occurring tar balls wash up on the beach. Somehow I just don't think it has anything to do with caring for the environment, but rather more to do about $$$. Nutz.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

scot i think these young people want to justify there jobs . epa, suffolk hazmat,dec and suffolk fire marshall office sent someone.this epa guy stood there everyday watching them dig and the water washing in the bottom of the hole caving in until there was a massive crater .would not give ok until there was a mess.they sneak in the yards along the south shore waiting to bang someone and inturn the yard if the grinder god forbid hit the bottom paint ----death by hanging ---and 25,000 fine if abrasive even shed one sparkle of bottom paint on ground!!! must have rubber mat on ground and side protection(from possible wind).must have full protective gear and ny pesticide permit with additional schooling.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Meanwhile they cover our roads with petroleum based asphalt. The runoff on that makes the 1 gallon fuel leak child's play. Every marina is a potential goldmine for the state and federal authorities and could put the whole industry out of business. Randall and I went to our town Supervisor to tell him there was no legal way to dispose of bad gasoline caused by the federally mandated Ethanol. He said he'd look into it....that was three years ago! No way to get rid of it "legally" usually is a setup for people doing things that can screw up the water table or cause explosions. We should have left our 65 gallons of gas at the DEC and written off our containers! Walter
Carl

Post by Carl »

walterk wrote:Randall and I went to our town Supervisor to tell him there was no legal way to dispose of bad gasoline caused by the federally mandated Ethanol. He said he'd look into it....that was three years ago! No way to get rid of it "legally" usually is a setup for people doing things that can screw up the water table or cause explosions. We should have left our 65 gallons of gas at the DEC and written off our containers! Walter
Your lucky you only had 65 gallons... I had three thirty five gallons drums of fuel. Called the EPA or the DEC and they first told me to "use it in my car". When I told them what it did to my boat motors and I wasn't putting it in my car they then told me to "use it in my lawn mower". Yeah 105 gallons of gas for my lawn mower, lets see I use about two gallons a year for the mower...

I then looked into having it hauled as Hazmet...they told me it was $500 per drum to remove. It also gets tested and if they find anything "Hazardous" I will get billed accordingly for disposal. The clincher was my name was to be put on the drums container and I was going to be liable if something should ever happen to that drum....uh say what???

As I deal with containment companies I asked several of them what I should do and finally one said they would just take it...score.
Harv

Post by Harv »

Being employed for a National trucking company I can say that in NY City, at least, we were prohibited from transporting any engines, trannies, generators, compressors, etc, that contained hazardous liquids still inside.
So many shippers, especially the Nissan dealers up here, would try to sneak a loaded tranny onto my truck, until they lifted it wrong and it popped a leak....I left those at the curb for them to deal with.
Harv
Harv

Post by Harv »

sim wrote:As I deal with containment companies I asked several of them what I should do and finally one said they would just take it...score.
Carl, you may have to hook me up with these people. I have about 100+ gallons in my bad gas tank.
Harv