Strange Year for the Gulf of Mexico

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Capt. DQ

Strange Year for the Gulf of Mexico

Post by Capt. DQ »

The weirdest type species keep showing up in the Gulf the last couple of years. Check this article out.

http://www.orangebeach.ws:80/2009/News/ ... Beach.html

DQ
1967 Hull #315-605 FBC ---<*)((((><(
"IN GOD WE TRUST"
'Life may be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well fish'!
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Just in time for Shark Week on TV.
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Just in time for Shark Week on TV.
I smell another Algore plot: Sharks taking over the oceans because of Global Warming...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Because they have so little left to eat.
scot

Post by scot »

They show up down here from time to time. Seems like it's about every 5 or 6 years you hear of someone spotting one.

In my early 20's I spent several years as a commercial diver in the Gulf. Every time I would hear of a spotting it would up the pucker factor. The worst jobs for me involved going in at 2:00 AM, 100 miles offshore, only a young man is that stupid. I won't even surf fish anymore if it involves getting in past my knees..lol. It's accurate to say I have become a shark wuss in my old age. I spend many, many hours trying to figure out ways that my boat "could" sink, so I can correct the potential weak spot. I don't fear drowning, or bobbing around out there...it's the sharks. The 45ACP on board is NOT for the sharks, or pirates, the last round is for me..lol.

BTW...thanks a bunch for the link Capt DQ...now I have photographic proof Great Whites are out there...Da***it.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Ironman

Post by Ironman »

This happened to a sword near here.. I saw this on the bloodydecks board. think it was Great White or a mako?Had a tail bite too.
Wayne
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I caught a six or seven foot White back in the "jaws" era. Was going to tag and release it, but the scientists from Wood's Hole were in Montauk working at a Tournament (I wasn't in) and asked me to bring it in. I had called asking for specific identifying info to verify that the fish we had alongside was really a White. After they finished dissecting it, I had it's head mounted. My Grandson has it on the wall of his room now.
Was Fluke fishing off the beach at Montauk last weekend and TWICE, bought up half of a live Fluke. Never felt a jarring hit but the poor things were cut with a perfect crescent shaped bites absolutely clean across half off it's bodies. No Bluefish bites! On that same day one of the party boats in the area said they had a 10 foot Hammerhead under the boat. Our water at the Point isn't up to 70 degrees yet!