B28 Cockpit Table with Grab Bars

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bayside Bert28

B28 Cockpit Table with Grab Bars

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

I'm looking to replace my massive post mounted tackle box with a cockpit table. My desire is make the cockpit of my B28 more passenger friendly. I have a couple of folding offshore chairs and would occasionally put a double offshore folding chair against the transom.

The cockpit table could be single or possibly double post mounted and should have cup holders, some table surface and surrounded by grab bars.

I have been unable to find anything yet that seems right for the space. The table should not be too wide (bow to stern) but can have some reasonable width (port to starboard).

Any suggestions?

http://www.myboatsgear.com/mbg/product.asp?prodID=1540

This Netptune III could possibly work because it has the grab bars and some storage and some seating but it is designed to face forward on a CC boat. It's also not a table but ... my primary consideration is grab bars and seating.
1981 Bertram 28 Flybridge CruiserThird Strike II1984 Bertram 54 Big Buddy
STeveZ

Post by STeveZ »

Sounds like there's DIY potential here
What if you hunted around for a piece of junked boat deck, bulkhead or whatever. Something relative heavy with some character.
Installed flush mounted cup holders, installed the appropriate mount on the bottom and rails on the side and put 5 or 10 coats of Captain's Varnish on it?

If you can't find the right piece of wood you could start with a teak table or cockpit table and make the necessary modifications.

Funny, what your thinking of doing is what the broker that sold me my B28 suggested: ditch the fighting chair and install a cocktail table in its place.
Last edited by STeveZ on May 31st, '09, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

It would seem to me that you could make a table that would meet your needs and mount it on the existing post by stealing the base from the piece you're removing. Uncle Vic made made a circular one (I think) for his 31. Walter
Buju

Post by Buju »

I wouldn't put a leaning post/rocket launcher in there if your looking for a table... totally different applications.
Agree with the others, make your own. It doesn't need to be solid teak. You can use marine ply, or some other composite core.
If ply is used you can simply cut it, sand it, encapsulate it with epoxy and then laminate some teak veneer or formica on it. Fairly straightforward. Then you can add stainless bev. holders, grabrails, etc. Maybe some hinges and a drop leaf would be the ticket.
Another good option is to go on Ebay Motors and simply search for "teak"... there is often alot of cockpit & saloon tables that people are parting with for considerably less $$$ than buying new. But make sure your in Ebay Motors or you'll come up with pages and pages of other crap.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Buju

Post by Buju »

Speakin of the devil:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Teak-Coc ... 240%3A1318
Nice little edson table w/ hardware... a little pricey for ebay though

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TEAK-TAB ... 240%3A1318
probably too small for your needs, but @ $20.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Teak-Swi ... 240%3A1318
heres a nice chunk of solid teak that could possibly be worked to suit you.

Point is, if you look around enough, you can find something to tweak and customize and work perfectly for your needs, without spending a gazillion $$$'s.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

I had an oval one made by a retired shop teacher in Corpus Christi, TX a few years ago. He did a super job for short money. Mahogany with a rim around it to keep stuff from sliding off. It mounts on my fighting chair pedestal using an old chair spider. I don't know if I have the guy's name still...found him when he was selling stuff on ebay. I did the finish - a teak stain with mucho coats of varnish. I store it off the boat and it still looks great. A must for Howdy Boating.

UV
Bayside Bert28

Post by Bayside Bert28 »

OK - thanks for all the help ... My DIY projects are pretty bad so I intend to buy something that can be bolted on or hire a professional. I'll show off the results.
1981 Bertram 28 Flybridge CruiserThird Strike II1984 Bertram 54 Big Buddy
Buju

Post by Buju »

Browsing Sailormans, came across this: http://sailorman.com/table.php
and thought of you Bayside... If you call or email, they'll do their best to get pics to you...

BTW, 3rd StrikeII is sitting real pretty on her mooring. Congrats.
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Ped-e-stall in mounted way forward of mine. Mine is back another 6 inches or so (or it looks that way from the photo).

Dump the drunk rails on the step down, and it opens up the area a bunch.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Why not just take it out completely and leave it clean and free
If you need a table and are fine with folding chairs when you are just relacing, why not do same for a table

Unless u are looking for a lean post for passengers when u are underway, then u have other options which can serve both purposes

What are you really looking to do

I kind of like it clean and open/flexible

For whatever worth