Replacing Valve cover gaskets

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Drew4ea

Replacing Valve cover gaskets

Post by Drew4ea »

Seeking knowledge from the faithfuls here...This is Andre's son, Drew. I'm trying to get the boat ready for an upcoming trip to Venice. Over the last couple of weekends, we've changed the oils, the usual filters, and made some additional upgrades. On our first run last weekend (since late last summer), we noticed the valve cover gasket on both engines (6BTAs) were leaking enough oil to decide they need changing. It looks fairly simple to do, 15mm socket, 18 ft-lb torque...Are there any tricks/gremlins I need to watch out for before I get started?
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Dumb question, but i have to ask. Did you try retorquing the existing ones? Also, hold the valve cover up against a piece of glass to make sure it is perfectly straight.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Drew4ea

Post by Drew4ea »

I did put a socket on them, but not a touque wrench yet. They seemed pretty tight, although I did get manage to get maybe a 1/4 turn on 2 of the bolts. I'll try the glass once I have the covers off...wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks.
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Drew - its real simple, just take the bolt loose and pull the valve cover off, clean up the mating surface on both the cover and the block, put a new gasket on and tighten 'er up. For those not familiar with Cummins 6Bs, each cylinder has its own valve cover, so there are 6 per engine.

I'll be down there tomorrow about noon until Sunday morning if you need any help.

UV
Drew4ea

Post by Drew4ea »

Thanks Uncle Vic, I'm trying to scoot down there after lunch today to finish everything up. I'll ring if I encounter any obstacles...