Which type of glass to use?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

Which type of glass to use?

Post by IRGuy »

I am getting ready to replace the glass windows in the aft bulkhead of the main cabin in my B33. Local glass guys tell me I can have either laminated or tempered glass. The original glass is not laminated, but it has some small dings on the exposed raw edges, leading me to believe it is not tempered either.

Laminated is not as strong as tempered, but it does not shatter if broken, rather the pieces stay stuck to the flexible inner layer.. tempered is stronger, but when damaged it breaks into lots of little pieces which don't have sharp edges.

The cost for each are pretty much the same. I can see the advantages and disadvantages for both.

Which type is recommended?
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you're using the tempered, don't make it a super tight fit. Leave a bit of cushion for the flex you'll have in rough seas. I've had one of mine "explode" from frame screws backing out on the edges. Walter
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Frank,

Tempered is way I usually go... It's seven times stronger than non-tempered single pane, & about ten times stronger than laminated. Laminated will not not transfer heat well and if the differential between cabin and cockpit temperatures get too much the higher temperature side will crack. Like when you have the a/c cranked down on a hot summer day...

Tempered must always "float" in a bedding compound or gasket. Any sharp hard strike to the edge of tempered will cause it to break, as Walter pointed out.

Br,

Patrick
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Thanks to both of you.. I hadn't realized how much stronger tempered was over laminated. I plan on using caulk as a bedding for the fixed windows, and making sure the slider has enough space so that it moves freely.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!