NC Bertram Rendezvous

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

NC Bertram Rendezvous

Post by Tommy »

Lin Spears ran his B-31 Rapscallion from Wrightsville Beach to Atlantic Beach, NC, for the NC gathering of the faithful this past weekend. It was a great time of boating, food and fellowship. The Williams family hosted everyone at their causeway marina for a Friday night barbecue, and the Maxwell family once again hosted all the Bertrams and their stewards for the Saturday cook-out. Lin pulled together 13 Bertrams (8 31s, 2 28s, 2 25s and a 20) and we all rafted up in the calm waters of the Harkers Point family compound. (We would have had 2 B-20s, but Jim Bailey had a water pump fail as he ran out to meet us. Not to be deterred, he returned to his marina and jumped in the car with his family and joined us at Harkers Point.) The weather, food and crowd were all the best ever. Thanks again to the Williams and the Maxwells for their warm and gracious hospitality.

This year the local Bertram "doctor", John McCallam, joined us. John has repaired, restored, remodeled, repainted, etc. etc. many 31 Bertrams through the years, and he knows the B-31 intimately like our own Capt. Patrick. By the way Patrick, you and Bruce were missed this year, and no, the USCG did not harrass us this time.

My thanks to Terry Frank for crewing on Island Girl, as I was solo on the trip. Terry's boat is still on the hill awaiting transmissions for his diesel repower. I shared with some folks by email that, in spite of his battle with cancer, Terry was still as agile as a cat when he lept from my swim platform to the dock (even though I almost threw him overboard when I goosed the throttles). Sorry about that, Terry, but the wind and the current ganged up on me as I was trying to off-load you back at the Radio Island Marina.

I hope some of our guys will post some photos of the weekend. Thanks again to all who attended.

Tommy
Terry Frank

Post by Terry Frank »

Tommy,

Thanks again for the ride. The dock side manouvering wasn't all that bad but it did dramatically demonstrate the Yanmars abilities. "Cat like agility"....not now, not ever. I appreciate the comment though. Many thanks to Lin, the Williams and the Maxwells. Without their help we'd be lost. I'm looking forward to bringing Limited Edition to next years event.

kr,

Terry
Happy to be here. Happy to be anywhere.

Terry
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tommy,
Glad you guys had great weather. I finial found time and got the boat running. This week clean the the bottom off and some $4.oo gal diesel and I hope I am ready for the season.
Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Capt Frank,

We missed you, yor wife and your little 1st mate.....sorry you were unable to attend. Hope to see you next year.

Tommy
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Tommy,
Ya I say it every year but it has been three years that I have not been able to go. I now have a two first mates. I'll try again next year. Maybe I'll see you in Ocracoke this summer.

Frank
1976 FBC
3208 NA