Fuel filter restriction gauge ?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

AndreF

Fuel filter restriction gauge ?

Post by AndreF »

Are these worth installing on my RACOR?
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

If you mean the pressure gauge that replaces the T-handle on top, They can be very helpful if you have an air leak or clogged filter. I had a hairline crack in the bowl base that was invisible because of where it was. My engine would start up, then die in a few seconds, after which it took a lot of cranking to start up again. Once started, all was fine all day long. Then, the next time I came back to the boat after a day or so, it was the same thing all over again. I changed the fuel line, lifter pump, filters and gaskets all to no avail. It wasn't until my son saw bubbles in the Racor bowl when I was cranking that we found the problem. Had a gauge been on that filter, we would have seen the loss of pressure much earlier. Walter
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Those guages are vacuum guages.

It can be a nice addition for diagnosis. The racor brand guages are over priced for their quality though.

Anything above 5" of vacuum should be looked into as it starts to pull air bubbles out of the fuel besides a fuel starvation problem.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

I'm having that exact problem, Walter, and wondered if that vacuum gauge (where the "T" handle goes, as you said) was worth it when I replace the bowl, thanks Bruce. I need to check clearance, Clarence, as the gauge sticks up alot. Around $60-$70 each.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
DRIFTER31

Post by DRIFTER31 »

Andre...you can use a tee to install them in line right off the racor between the filter and engine feed line. I used stainless ones from the local gauge shop and they were only about 15 bucks ea.
Kill Em All ......Let God Sort Em Out
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

I mounted mine like drifter did. Back mounted SS glycerin filled gauges are not very expensive from industrial supply places.vacuum
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31