Cabo IGFA/ROLEX next week-advice,suggestions

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kipp

Cabo IGFA/ROLEX next week-advice,suggestions

Post by kipp »

Team "Targeted Species" will be in Cabo next week for the championship. Andre hooked us up with Rengade Mike for two days of prefishing. Do any of the faithful who have fished Cabo before have any suggestions on what gear,lures,teasers, dredges etc. we should bring. We have 5 Shimano Torsa 30's,and rods.I'm bringing two cases of med. ballyhoo. Any other tips,advice or suggestions on fishing there would be most appreciated. We want to do you all proud!
Kipp
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kipp,

Make up a half dozen teaser rigs, about 15' ft each, 200# mono. Loop on one end to tie to the rigger teaser lines. Drop back from the loop about 5' crimp in each side of a 3oz egg sinker, (like a slip sinker but little or no travel).

Space out rest of the main line for 5 ballyhoo. The first four will be 50# mono droppers crimped parallel, but running forward, (away from the tag end of the main). Each dropper about 4" long with a crimpped loop at the end. The last dropper runs atraigh off the main trailing back. Put a snap swivel at the end of each dropper. The reverse direction of the first 4 droppers will help keep the baits from twisting up with main; they'll stand away somewhat.

Now, make up, as many as you can stand to twist up, standard ballyhoo pin wires, (Malin wire with copper nose wrap wire), but only about 3" long finished & no hooks. Rig you teaser baits daily, at least 15 - 20 baits to start each day.

Now you'll be dragging natural bait teasers which will hedge the bets in your favor...

To further sweeten the rig, find and use red coated craft copper for the nose wrap. You can also dye your teaser baits red, but that can be messy on the boat. Careful you don't get red stains on the boat. Could be an ugly international situation....

I used this method of teaser baits on all of my Yucatan trips, (5), & consistantly out fished everyone who wasn't using this technique...

Be sure to heavily brine, salt, loosen-up, and de-poop your teaser baits. They'll last longer & swim better.

Have fun!

Br

Patrick
kipp

Post by kipp »

Thanks Capt. Patrtick.
My son,deckhand,firstmate and co-captain,Richard, just got back from Isla Mujeres for the sailfish bite. He got plenty of ballyhoo rigging experience the 4 months he was there.
Will add your rigging technique to his assigned duties. Might just be the edge that gets us the Rolex. Not to interested in the watch,but sure would make good use of the bragging rights. Once again, thanks for your tutorial.
Kipp
In Memory of Vicroy

Post by In Memory of Vicroy »

Kipp - I fished Cabo years ago in December and the trick was live bait, $2 mackerel you got from the pangas just outside the harbor. We hammered the stripes. In Panama live bait for big marlin is the trick too, bridled and slow trolled short with Moldcraft daisy chain teasers pulled off the riggers just barely touching the water they are so close. Oh yeah, the Panama trick de la trick is more Moldcraft daisy chain teasers on yellow water ski ropes off the cockpit corners....they like a lotta teasers at TSL.

Ya'll do us proud.

UV