Question for the Coonasses...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Buju

Question for the Coonasses...

Post by Buju »

Last weekend I had a small crawfish boil (50lbs) and ordered some andouille ( can't get any round here, rightfully so I suppose ) to go in the pot as usual. When placing the order, I saw some crawfish & gator boudain, which grabbed my attention, so I ordered a few pounds of the crawfish boudain.
I mistakenly thought the boudain was a proper sausage, which it aint by any means...More like a stuffing, in a casing... So the question is, what is the preferred way to make boudain?
My favorite so far has been to slow grill it over a smokey buttonwood & wild tamarind fire, slice it thick and eat with a good hot & sweet mustard, and some chilled white wine on the side. Would think it'd be good sauted as well...
Interesting stuff, gonna have to get some more real soon.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Last weekend I had a small crawfish boil (50lbs) and ordered some andouille ( can't get any round here, rightfully so I suppose ) to go in the pot as usual.
Your much better off if they don't have Andouille around you. They have something by me that was supposed to be premium quality and it ruined a whole dish... I won't even go into what the Tasso tasted like.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

Buju,
A short answer- yes.
The only restriction on boudin is the casing (pig-intestines) tends to break easy. I cook it many ways, even heating it in a covered skillet w/a little water for a quick meal. I don't eat the casing which makes it OK if it breaks open anyway which it usually does when it's cooked. Kinda messy on a grill. You can even dump some in grits to spice it up a little. I also do that with hogs head cheese. That's what you need to try!
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
scot

Post by scot »

I like it squeezed out of the casing and in between 2 pieces of bread, or in other words: a sandwich, smoked is my personal favorite.

Buju, have you discovered why we all call them "mud bugs" (Hint: it ain't because they live in mud)

You'll figure it out a few hours after eating a massive amount of well seasoned crawfish. Enjoy.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Buju

Post by Buju »

Scot,
You'd be talking about what I call 'craw gut'... for the last 5 or 6 years now, I've had several severe cases of next day craw gut. Naw, boiling aint nothing new to us, I've even developed my own seasoning by milling up my own cayennes, various "proprietary" herbs & spices, sea salt, and a few scotch bonnets for good measure.
just the boudin- that was new... to me. So, generally the casing doesn't get eaten huh? Oh well, I've been enjoying the whole deal....

Andre,
Familiar with head cheese, actually used to make our own when I was was a kid growing up on the farm in the midwwest. I'd think the cajun version has got some differences though.
AndreF

Post by AndreF »

You guys have to take the vein out.
I'm not sure but indecision may or may not be my problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

1981 FBC BERG1883M81E
scot

Post by scot »

No, don't eat the casing....some do, I don't.

Andre, if I slow down long enough to get the vein out everyone else will get the big ones!
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0