Completing my Deck Floor-Need advice?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ironworker

Completing my Deck Floor-Need advice?

Post by Ironworker »

My boat deck were restored with the idea of installing the side panels which I not plan to abandon. I'd like to install the open side look as in this photo or similar as I need room for gaffs, harpoons, boat hooks etc.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5xvztgrqf9fe ... s.png?dl=0

What I currently have can be seen in these photos which is about a 3 to 5" gap on the sides and maybe 6 to 8" on the stern.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lkc1sl7p8suh ... f5Sra?dl=0

My original plan was to build some new side panels that would be removable to install around the sides between the gunnel and current deck panels . But after having looked at several other boats, I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should just glass in a shelf to the gunnels and stern and let the current deck panels fit next to them.

Perhaps something similar to this but with a lower vertical profile. I was considering glassing this shelf around some rigging tubes or forming a rigging tube with then new shelf.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awdekq6331n2s ... t.jpg?dl=0

So build something removable or glass in something permanent?
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Tony Meola

Re: Completing my Deck Floor-Need advice?

Post by Tony Meola »

Rick

While I still have the side panels, the removal of them allows you to get your feet closer the hull sides allowing you to brace your legs against the sides if needed. The shelf defeats that purpose.

I would try and build a gutter system the existing deck could rest on.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Rick,

That step is part of the molded 28 deck floor. This is not a 31.
The vertical gunnel supports have holes in them so that you can slide longer objects through, like this red broomstick.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Tony Meola wrote: Jan 17th, '21, 00:22 Rick

While I still have the side panels, the removal of them allows you to get your feet closer the hull sides allowing you to brace your legs against the sides if needed. The shelf defeats that purpose.

I would try and build a gutter system the existing deck could rest on.
Tony,

Thanks, I'm very likely going to be mounting a toe rail at the bottom of my racks once they get installed. If I can glass a gutter or shelf to the gunnel that would be the strongest option. I have also considered just extending the current floor panels but I don't that would look very good.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue
Ironworker

Post by Ironworker »

Yannis wrote: Jan 17th, '21, 00:46 Rick,

That step is part of the molded 28 deck floor. This is not a 31.
The vertical gunnel supports have holes in them so that you can slide longer objects through, like this red broomstick.

I knew it was a 28 but I've been looking at a lot of cockpit floor details or various boats. You comment about the vertical gunnel supports gives me an idea about how to mount my harpoons, which off course requires more work.
Rick Ott
Carolina Reaper
Hull # Don't have a clue