mounting the helm chair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Rickysa

mounting the helm chair

Post by Rickysa »

Went with a Pompannette (P2000)... there was a single captain's chair previously, and I haven't removed the headliner yet to see what kind of backing plate is present, but is there anything I need to know or any suggestions??
Tommy

Re: mounting the helm chair

Post by Tommy »

Ricky,

Other than lots of small, stainless slot head screws that need to be backed out, the process is fairly straight forward to remove the headliner. I had the open back SF model, so there was plenty of room to remove the two ceiling panels. It was interesting to see the underside of the helm and bridge and provided good access for cleaning out some abandoned wires and such. I used toothpicks to plug the screw holes when I remounted as many of the screws would not bite.

Did you get the turbos spooled up to your satisfaction?
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

Did you get the turbos spooled up to your satisfaction?
Hey Tommy....yes. In fact it was a little scary. Again, just getting to get to know the the boat...it took off like a rocket. Too fast, really.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

The Head liner comes down easy. You will see a plywood base up there. N0t sure of the postion of seat and the access but I would thru bolt it. You would also have the ability to add an additional backing plate if you feel you need it.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Rickysa

Post by Rickysa »

You would also have the ability to add an additional backing plate if you feel you need it.
That's really my main question. I previous seat had a little wobble in it, and since the only experience I've had on the boat was bringing up the ditch to NC, I wasn't sure the best way to secure the pedestal. I really hoped the chair would have come with a nice SS backing plate (or offered one for sale), but no dice. I'm thinking that if I want to reinforce the attachment I would add a glassed-in 1/2" marine-ply section to thru-bolt. The folks that did the hard-top remade the headliner, so its removal should be pretty straight forward.

Being north of #250 and having a bum knee, makes me think a little more buttressing wouldn't be a bad idea.