Hull number

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

kross1

Hull number

Post by kross1 »

I found this number in my 1983 28 fbc. I have this boat 3 years.. It’s in the forward bilge. Is there any information I can get from this number. I knew the number was there just didn’t look into it further..
https://imgur.com/a/Ry1ild0
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Tony Meola

Re: Hull number

Post by Tony Meola »

Not sure what that number stands for. Perhaps it is a production code or a part number. If your boat is an 83, the actual hull number should be etched on the transom.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Never seen anything like it.
Also, never seen a bilge in a 28 with exposed wood, where exactly is that part of the bilge?
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

it looks like an official hull number for documentation. Try looking it up in the USCG documentation website.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Amberjack is correct that it is the USCG Documentation Number assigned to the boat. My guess is the original customer ordered the boat and told the factory that it would be documented, which was an option and not a requirement. A boat can be documented federally or registered in a particular state. My first 31 was registered in NC and had registration numbers and sticker on both sides of the bow. My second 31, Island Girl, was documented which requires the boat name and hailing port to be visible on the stern, but no bow numbers. The USCG documentation helped things go smoothly when the boat was later purchased from me by a buyer from Monte Carlo,Monaco.
Tooeez

Post by Tooeez »

My 79 has the hull number laminated into the inside of the transom, on the centerline about a foot below the deck. I also found it a few other places; for example I would take out a drawer, turn it over and and find the number hand written on the bottom. I suppose that a lot of the parts were hand-fitted to each boat as it was built, and the workers marked them so that they did not mix them up.
kross1

Post by kross1 »

This is where the number is. Starboard side forward bilge.
The bilge floor throughout the boat is plywood.Its all still Solid.
Thanks all.. I will try to look up the number.
https://imgur.com/a/gBfSApr
B28 "NINA PETER SANTA MARIA"
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

I have never seen a plywood bilge in a 28 so far, I guess I’m learning new things every day!
All 28 bilges I have seen are solid glass without any wood sandwich. In my 28 I know because I drilled new through hulls and I sealed off others, that were all solid glass all around.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Amberjack

Post by Amberjack »

I found the same as Toeez when I removed Amberjacks cabin sole floor boards to refinish them with teak & holly. Each one had the individual Bertram hull production number hand written on the underside. The carpenter working with me thought I should sand and paint the undersides which still had the original paint in 50 year old condition. I said no, its kind of fun to know the original workers hand scrawls are still down there.
Doug Pratt
Bertram 31 Amberjack
FBC hull #315-820