What Exactly Does This Fuel Manifold Do?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ernie Sandoval

What Exactly Does This Fuel Manifold Do?

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

What do these fuel selectors do? The switch is hot and runs the little pump right next to the selectors. Each line goes to a main Racor. Just prior to each filter via a "T". Both engines and the gen have the "T". Is it some type of fuel polish or just a refill for the Racors after service? I've never seen this before. Thanks!
Ernie Sandoval
86’ 31 Bertram-BERGAG23D686
Tony Meola

Re: What Exactly Does This Fuel Manifold Do?

Post by Tony Meola »

It looks like it might be used to prime the engines. That little pump, should probably not be running all the time. What engines do you have in the boat?
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Well that makes sense! It isn’t running all the time. It runs when you toggle that spring loaded switch on the grey box. I have the Cat 3126 mechanicals. I’m going to rebuild all my Racors so that might come in handy! Never seen that before.
Ernie Sandoval
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Ernie

Racor now makes a pump that attaches right to the filter that you can use to prime the engines. It is a great help when you change a filter or break a line open. It pretty much eliminates bleeding the line.

I keep on thinking about installing them but so far I can not justify the cost of the Racor pump. I guess once I get stuck once I will kick myself. Cummins do not like air in the line. I got air in one spring at launch and manage to keep it running long enough to get out in the bay, when I cranked it up all was well. Got lucky I know it.

Check out Racor's site for the pump. it might make for a neater installation.

If you check on Boat diesel you will see set up that uses an outboard fuel line with the bulb for helping to prime the engines. Some controversy on that set up. Some Insurance company's say it is a no go, and if picked up in an Insurance survey it could hurt you. Also any damage due to a fire, they could say it was the bulb and will not pay off. So choose your options carefully.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Ernie Sandoval

Post by Ernie Sandoval »

Tony, thanks for the ideas. Keep them coming! It’s my first Bertram so I am a little out of my element. Trying to work through the boat and find all the issues so I can repair them all. The previous owner(s) spent some serious money on this boat but then let it sit. Nuts! I can see why people love these boats. Good all around machine but some things leave me scratching my head. I appreciate the help!
Ernie Sandoval