New to me B28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jamie_Todd

New to me B28

Post by Jamie_Todd »

Hello All and thanks for the add...

Just purchased a 1981 B28 in largely serviceable condition and am beginning the process of addressing the myriad little bugs and issues that need attention before putting her in service for the remainder of the year.. Power is Yanmar 4LHA-STP spinning 1.9/1 5010A's.. I am new to inboards, certainly not to boating or turning wrenches. I am learning a pile of new systems all at once, would appreciate any tips / tricks you might have to offer on the punch list.

Punch list is as follows:

1. Repack the rudder boxes - Rudder shelves are in good order with no detectable Rot. Starboard upper bearing is in visibly poor shape, but serviceable for the remainder of this year. Mr. Lico was kind enough to share the packing size (5/16").. Any tips to accomplishing this job? Its pretty tight quarters under there and I am imagining a hellish nightmare trying to fish out the old packing and get new in. Boat is on a lift so wont have to haul it.

2. Trim Tab Cylinders are shot - I've ordered new cylinders. The pump was full of water, but no significant corrosion that I can find.. Brought it home, cleaned it up, flushed it out, and the pump itself seems fine.. Boat does not have a swim platform, so access is fine to replace the cylinders from a jon boat under the dock.

3. Port Alternator Bad - Yanked the alternator and found a stack of problems.. The bushing in the housing for the lower mount point was gone (missing), along with the nut for the lower mounting bolt. The Alternator is being rebuilt and should be an easy R&R. Explains why I found belt residue all over the front of that engine.

4. Engine Maintenance - As with any "new to me" piece of equipment, the motors will get a full service (Oil & Filter, Fuel Filters, Impellors, zincs, and a thorough once over tightening and checking clamps, hoses, belts, etc).. The engines are ~1500hrs. Had virtually zero detectable blow by, ran out great (3600 RPMS) making good oil pressure, and aside from general housekeeping appear to be in good order. Any tips / tricks / or "gotchas" on the service or operation of the engines? Preferences on Oil or Filters? Cross-References to commonly available subs for the yanmar #'s?

5. Gear Maintenance - This is a completely new piece of equipment for me to manage. Any thoughts and insight here is appreciated.

6. Engine Room / Bilge - Aside from the required cleaning, de-gunking, and corrosion proofing, the bilge paint has begun to flake off. I will crawl under there and manually remove as much as I can. I'm concerned about clogging bilge pumps etc..

7. Auto-Pilot - The existing Simrad AP16 is dead to the world.. It talks an AC20.. I think that the AP24 is a drop in replacement for that configuration.. Confirm?

I'm certainly at the bottom of the learning curve here but excited to get the old tug rolling this year. I will be hauling the boat doing some more extensive work this winter, but focused now of safety and reliability.

JT
scot

Re: New to me B28

Post by scot »

Welcome aboard :-)
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

As far as maintaining the engines, I would find a good Yanmar sop in your area. If you do not know when the engines were last gone over, I would have the exhaust elbows/risers checked as well as the coolers.

I would stick with yanmar filters.

Someone else with Yanmsrs will hopefully jump in and offer advice.

Good luck and welcome.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
aussierob

Post by aussierob »

Welcome! I have a B28 also (running petrol so not much help on the diesels sorry).

They're a solid boat - you'll enjoy it!

Rob
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Welcome Jamie,

I learned to be very meticulous with two things with the Yanmars :
The radiator pink fluid and the engine zincs have to be original Yanmar always.
My mechanic explained to me that these engines are constructed with particular metals so the zincs play a vital role, also any other radiator liquid, to my knowledge, will not protect from rust as the yanmar liquid would.

Particularly in the 28, you also have to protect your turbos from water or humidity in general, as they sit shallow in your engine room, so you may wish to reexamine your risers as well as install exhaust shutters at your stern that sit at an angle so they remain closed at all times.

Good luck and enjoy your new boat.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Jamie_Todd

Post by Jamie_Todd »

Thanks Yannis.. The boat sits on a lift when not in use, but has the flappers on the transom exhaust, assuming that is what you are talking about? The previous owner certainly did not use the pink coolant exclusively, and that will need that be changed.. Appreciate your feedback and guidance!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Jamie,

Yes, flappers...

It took me 3 seasons !! and the corresponding outlay, to completely get rid of the black radiator fluid, by replacing completely the fluid at the end of each season, as the previous owner’s mechanic was not using the original Yanmar fluid. He was using a similar pinkish fluid, but not the original. Thats what I call a wrong perception of economy.
Now, the fluid is always pink as it should be, and I do not replace it anymore. I just add a few drops when necessary.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"