Headliner

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Headliner

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Just came across this on one of the Bertram facebook groups. Using a PVC track and canvas for the headliner

https://www.trivantage.com/hardware/har ... &langId=-1

Can't find much additional information but mine will soon need replacing and while pulling a hundred screws to pull down the liner isn't the end of the world, a canvas with a zipper would seem to make a whole lot of sense. Any experience with this?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Yannis

Re: Headliner

Post by Yannis »

Peter,

A few years back I was in England in a hotel where the bathroom ceiling was probably flaking, so in order to avoid painting every so often they had made a faux ceiling just underneath which was a thin sheet of silicone! stretched out so perfectly that you couldn’t even understand it was not the original concrete ceiling.
So, probably, you could find something similar in the building/hotel restorations type of stores or sites.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Peter

Not sure how this will work. Looks like the material is stretched with no backing. Only supported across the span by tension. To me that would be a pain, since I see the material stretching in the heat and dampness of a boat and having to be cut and re stretched.

I am in the same situation as you. Time for a new head liner. I am thinking 1/4 inch ply or azek board cut to fit and covered in headliner material, for a place like Sailrite. All this held up by hook and loop.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#hook-and-loop/=1ddzjor

My only concern on that one is, that while easy to take down and put up, will it stay in place when running in any kind of heavy sea.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

The silicone sheet I mentioned (which shouldn't be more that a mm thick) kept the tension by itself, because it was stretched once and for all, during the application.
Furthermore, it does not get affected either by humidity or by the weather.
I tried to find a link somewhere, but you need time...there are so many alternatives.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Carl

Post by Carl »

My canvas was put in on a system like that. Only the track is aluminum.
What is nice about it is it just slides right in on top, then a few snaps on the bottom.

Only hitch is with mine the canvas needs to be supported and guided somewhat or it binds a bit...thinking that may be an issue if your intending on having a track secure material from both sides...material would have to go in straight and even from both sides exactly, while the trailing end is supported and coaxed into the track. Not sure it would slide well, if at all if material was taut.
Then again, materials and designs have changed and that may no longer be an issue.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis & Carl

My hesitation to using a system like this is taking it down and putting it up. What a pain it could be. I cut hatches in my old headliner years ago. I am up in there all the time since I have some fuse blocks up there as well as wiring connections.

MY old headliner is tired and needs to be replaced. Just need to figure out what will work without causing a ton of issues.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Looks like they place material in track then secure track in place.
Results look good.

Thanks