Forward Bulkhead Gutter System

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

Forward Bulkhead Gutter System

Post by JohnV8r »

Guys,

Battery box for under the companionway is done. I also got the bulkhead that goes at the back of the engines cut and the support strip that goes along the top of the fuel tank side done before I finally gave up - 107 degrees today.

Is there a simple way to fit a gutter system on the engine side of the bulkhead to drain water so water that makes it under the motor boxes where they are hinged isn't dripping straight on the transmissions, etc? Is it more simple to just glass in strip of Coosa an inch or two high to essentially keep the water on the deck side?

Let me know please.

Thanks!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
scot

Re: Forward Bulkhead Gutter System

Post by scot »

Is it more simple to just glass in strip of Coosa an inch or two high to essentially keep the water on the deck side?
IMHO It's always better to keep the water out than gutter and drain the water after it's in. If you have the room, I say build a small ledge and keep it out.
Scot
1969 Bertram 25 "Roly Poly"
she'll float one of these days.. no really it will :-0
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

When I did mine in 2009, I picked up at home Depot a thin plastic angle molding. If I rembering right it was used for door/ window framing. I cut it to size so it ran across along the bullhead and the hatch would close. I ran a bead of silcone set it in place and then screwed it down.

I can measure it tomorrow but I believe the the edge that sits upright is about an inch high. Simple enough and it works great, it does exactly what it was meant to do.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

Took a look at the dam I inserted. It sits 3/4 inch high. More than enough to block the water running under the engine box. I did notice that I had to trim the bottom part a little so it sat flush on top of the bulkhead.

The deck buts tight to it, so a bead of caulk goes in that seam also.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315