Hatch fasteners

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

Hatch fasteners

Post by Yannis »

Somebody walked onto my semi open front hatch and broke the hatch fastener bolt (right).
Looked it up under Perko and saw it costs around $ 46 each. For two of them plus shipping it would amount to more than $120.
So, I purchased two same diameter ss screws (middle) and gave them to my welder. He shaved them and made a cubic head to each one of them, drilled a hole so as to attach the old black handles and ...voila ! All for less than $ .50.

1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Tony Meola

Re: Hatch fasteners

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

First the window now the hatch.

Surprised Perko still made them.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Tony,

It seems like you 31 guys have different fasteners/latches ?
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Those are nothing like mine. I don't think they even make mine anymore and I could use a set.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:
and ...voila ! All for less than $ .50.

Yes and no. Yes maybe less then .50 for you to purchase the two bolts.

But....

.....how much time did it take your welder:

-to disassemble old Fastener Handle
-"shave" them
-make cubic head for each one
-attach (Weld On?) cubic head
-clean weld after attaching
-drill holes
-reassemble to Black Handle

What value is your welders equipment and overhead
Value of welders experience, training and abilities.

What happens IF he cracked handle when working on it.

Sorry Yannis, but having done that sort of thing in the past I will tell you it cost alot more then .50

If you were not charged, or charged little...a big thank you to your welder friend may be in order, cause he gave you
a very nice present.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Sounds like a good bottle of Uzo is in order.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl, Tony,

Theoretically you are right.
However, as my welder did my rear bench, put the new side window, fixed the frame of the solar panels that was bent, etc,etc, he gave me an overall price.
When I asked for a discount he said that this was a rock bottom price and he couldnt go lower.
I then told him ok, since you cant go lower its fine BUT, please fix my hatch fasteners.
To me its a $ .50 job! What I did was to go buy the bolts myself !

Tony,
Take a pic of your hatch fastener and I'll ask my welder if he can copy them for you. Is it like a big round black nut that screws on a similar bolt and secures sideways?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl, Tony,

Theoretically you are right.
However, as my welder did my rear bench, put the new side window, fixed the frame of the solar panels that was bent, etc,etc, he gave me an overall price.
When I asked for a discount he said that this was a rock bottom price and he couldnt go lower.
I then told him ok, since you cant go lower its fine BUT, please fix my hatch fasteners.
To me its a $ .50 job! What I did was to go buy the bolts myself !

Yannis, my apologizes. Your 100% right in your thinking. That fix was used as a bargaining chip, he didn't want to give in on his price, but gave a little extra on the side...all good.

Thought when you mentioned only .05 job you thought it was something the welder just tossed together in a minute or two and not worth a thanks or anything. Sometimes people just don't know...

Quick story, my wife used to make homemade Organic Dog bones for our dog. Yeah...Doreen went a little stir crazy being home with kids after working all day everyday for years. But the Dog loved them and she'd sit in front of oven for hours salivating as they slowly baked (the dog, not Dor).

Dor wants to start a business selling these things and asks if I can make a mold to shape and emboss her LOGO. Sure, not problem. Next day I come home with mold...she likes it...but maybe a little larger, name a little deeper into dough, outside doesn't look shiny like inside. Couple days later I come home with new mold. Happy with that one, she makes and peddles bones to a couple stores, her cousins place they become a somewhat hit and she makes a few orders. Then some requests come in for larger ones, so I'm asked to make a larger mold. No problem, larger mold appears a couple days later.
Doreen does the books here and one day she tells me she'd like a 2nd large mold so daughter could help form, then maybe some others. No problem I had a machine opening up and stuck her mold job in. Couple hours later shes getting ready to leave and asks for mold...told her it was still running. And she's like... what do you mean, how long does it take? When I told her it takes about 3-1/2 hours to run the larger ones she was floored. Sometimes people just don't know what it takes...and she works here.

Anyway, nice .5 hatch fasteners!
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,
There is no ned to apologize about anything.
Also, I was working in petfoods for 15 years.
Ask your wife to shoot questions. About molds, however, you're the boss.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:Carl,
There is no ned to apologize about anything.
Also, I was working in petfoods for 15 years.
Ask your wife to shoot questions. About molds, however, you're the boss.

Pet foods, Really? Funny a topic that comes up alot lately in my household.
Lots of changes today compared to when I grew up. Used to be Dog Food, wet or dry, cheap or pricey. Growing up my dogs ate whatever was cheap and plentiful. Veterinarian...rabies shots when needed and that was it.

Today it seems dogs can eat better then us with more variations too, Roast Duck with potatoes and peas. Not a bad thing I guess as we found out our dog is highly allergic to wheat, beef and yeast...that cut out all the cheap and moderately priced foods. Also very allergic to cotton and human dander?? really didn't even know that one was possible. In old days he'd be put out to pasture, especially being a mutt taken in from a shelter. But try to reason with 3 girls on that one.

As to Dog Bone Business...she worked on that for several months. Slowly the novelty wore off and we discussed future of business...she realized it was a hobby that turned money into dog bones that turned back into the same amount of money and she was out alot of labor. We discussed scaling it up, buying and making in bulk...but when all was said and done. She loved making the bones for our dog, the novelty of making for others was over. She was not interested in pushing to go bigger and that was that.
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

The product claim on a dog or cat food is an ...art by itself.
There are strict legal requirements about when you can call a petfood "rich in...", or "with...", or even just plain "beef".
The above are guaranteed minimum percentages into the overall product formula.
Then, come the different ingredients that the buyer is lured by, say, duck that sounds tasty, or, salmon or anything.
What companies do to overcome this complexity, is that they incorporate all the ingredients that will appear as "claims" on the packaging of the specific product range, into one single formula. For example, if a formula incorporates 4% beef as well as 4% rabbit it can be called "with beef" and simultaneously in another packaging "with rabbit" !
There's more to this, as the product appearance has to change so that its credible to the buyer...
The interesting part in petfood marketing is that petfood and babyfood are the only two products where the buyer is not the consumer! The product has to satisfy the needs of both and the difficulty lies in that this is often contradictory.

What you need for your allergic dog is a good quality food for that purpose. The dog should always eat that and nothing else.
After a few days you'll see if the brand you chose fit your dog's need, otherwise you'll have to switch to another producer.
You should know, though, that only 15-20% of the allergies are food induced and therefore food treated. For the rest, you have to ask your veterinarian.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Yannis

Thanks for the offer, but actually mine are not quite as simple as yours. I would probably need a machine shop (Carl for instance) but it is going to be cheaper to find another alternative. They are out there, just need to figure out which one works best, right after I get the new Head installed, fix the transmission linkage, cut the lawn, paint the bathroom after taking down wall paper etc. LOL
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Yannis wrote:The product claim on a dog or cat food is an ...art by itself.
That is the truth...lots of people jump on food due to packaging and claims. Can't say I have not gone that route too.

The interesting part in petfood marketing is that petfood and babyfood are the only two products where the buyer is not the consumer! The product has to satisfy the needs of both and the difficulty lies in that this is often contradictory.[/quote]

An interesting point. With all things being equal we go with gut feel based on packaging...then see if they like.
Yannis wrote: What you need for your allergic dog is a good quality food for that purpose. The dog should always eat that and nothing else.
After a few days you'll see if the brand you chose fit your dog's need, otherwise you'll have to switch to another producer.
You should know, though, that only 15-20% of the allergies are food induced and therefore food treated. For the rest, you have to ask your veterinarian.
Yes, we changed foods around a few times with some better results, but never really good. Dog without Allergy meds would scratch himself till he bled all over. Dor didn't want pooch on meds all his life so we had allergy testing done. Results made sense, we'd go to beef food and he was terrible, went to lamb but better...but not great. But the lamb had rice, allergic to rice. Try chicken, okay, but chicken had wheat and yeast, allergic to those. Once we had specific ingredients to watch for, we only had few choices, All limited ingredient products. He's noticeably better, but borderline needing meds...so we went to the next level, just last night had vet to house to show us how to administer his Allergy shots, immunotherepy. Yeah...never thought I'd have to be doing this for a dog. And just another reason I'll need to keep those gas motors running as Diesel yet again slips away. ...could also be my oldest making plans to start collage next year.

All good, thank you for food insight.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony Meola wrote:Yannis

Thanks for the offer, but actually mine are not quite as simple as yours. I would probably need a machine shop (Carl for instance) but it is going to be cheaper to find another alternative. They are out there, just need to figure out which one works best, right after I get the new Head installed, fix the transmission linkage, cut the lawn, paint the bathroom after taking down wall paper etc. LOL
Tony, snap me a pic of what you need. Maybe we can make or find an alternate source for something that will work.

Hey, let me help you with your list...

-The new head- Think it was Brewster that had a bucket for that.
-Tranny- it still shifts, so no problem.
-Cut the lawn? already, really? I still may have snow on mine. But heck, cut it and it grows back, here's a tip, cut it shorter then short and start a trend of brown lawns,,,much easy to keep.
-Bathroom wallpaper and paint...try a lower wattage bulb and call it done.

Those to Do lists are never completed. Crossed two off yesterday, this morning on way out to work Dor tells me Fridge water supply line is leaking...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Carl,

with all that snow outside, what the hell you need a fridge for. Tell the ladies to go fetch some fresh snow for the daily needs, and that's it.

What breed is your dog and how old?

Tony,
I liked Carl's approach to your "to do" list. It renders your life easier !!!
Carl

Post by Carl »

Thank you very much, but you can Tell the ladies to fetch the snow for their daily needs. For that one I just did my usual trips back and forth to the big box store till I finally got all the parts I needed... along with quite a few I didn't.

Dogs a mixed breed, a mutt from a shelter. Can only make some guesses, thinking retriever, hound with some pit tossed in. He's just about 2 years old.

My Approach to the To Do list does make life easier...for a short time anyway.

Edit- I recently found out dogs almost three years old...had him for two and change.
Everyday time flies by faster and faster...
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Carl

I like your list also, except the remove the wall paper has turned into a nightmare. Removed the toilet ( a nightmare, some idiot did not use brass nuts and they were rounded off) to get behind it to fix some sheet rock and found loose time under it. I hate working on and around toilets.

Now we are getting into a floor. Ugh.

I may take you up on your offer, will take a look at it again once the cover comes off the boat in a week or two, depending on the dam wallpaper job.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Carl

Post by Carl »

Tony-

I hear you loud and clear. My last house the guy got tired of tenants so kicked them out, did a quick renovation and put on market.
Every job we took on in that house led to a bigger project. Want to put up a ceiling fan in kitchen, found light hanging was only mounted to sheet rock with dangling junction box stuffed up there. So it was open ceiling, secure brackets to joists, mount light fixture, fix ceiling and then it all needed to be painted. I figured an hour to hang light and thought I was being generous.

Plumbing and toilets...they can be the worst.