Detroit 8.2L/GM 8.2L

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

jackryan

Detroit 8.2L/GM 8.2L

Post by jackryan »

Seeking info from the engine experts out there. I am looking at a 34' express with 8.2L 300 hp GM's. I have not seen many of these engines around and was wondering if they are a reliable engine. What are the knocks on them? How many hours would would you expect before rebuild? Are they very similar to the Detroit 8.2L. These engines have close to 2400 hrs. Thanks for any input.

Jack
jackryan

Detroit 8.2L/GM 8.2L

Post by jackryan »

I found this discussion on the Detroit 8.2, but still not sure if the GM 8.2 is pretty much an identical engine or not.

http://boatdiesel.com/Forums/Index.cfm? ... rum_ID=230

Jack
Doug Crowther

GM/Detroit 8.2's

Post by Doug Crowther »

GM and Detroit Diesel are were one in the same. I have these engines in a 31. These engines were also called "fuel sippers". There were two versions, both a dry and wet turbo setups. I have the dry's covered with heat blankets. I have put 400 hrs on these engines in 4 years with very little maint issues. The primary issue I have had is that when the engines were rebuilt they re-used the mainifolds which I have now replaced.
These engines push my 31 to around 31knts which considering their great weight is awesome. I average about 1.5 nm per gallon of diesel.
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
Doug Crowther

Post by Doug Crowther »

The 6.2 were gas engines made into diesels and they are to be avoided per everything I have read.
The 8.2 was made for large trucks and greyhound buses. These engines were DD's answer to Cat's very popular 3208. The key to the 8.2's is they were never pushed above 300hp.
I love these engines. Happy to answer any question you may have. Parts are readily available thru Johnson & Tower's. I realy haven't bought much but filters and zincs for mine. Ken Ching on this board had 13000 hrs on his when he repowered with Cummins.
410-200-4386 cell
I grew up to be the person my parent's warned me about.
jackryan

Post by jackryan »

Doug,

Sounds great. Thanks for the information, and if If I end up buying the boat I'm sure I'll have some questions for you. As always, this board is the best resource for engine/boat information of all kinds.

Jack