Windows,..and interior covering for bare fiberglass

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Howesounder

Windows,..and interior covering for bare fiberglass

Post by Howesounder »

Hello again House of Bertram, I have had a chance to do a bit of cleanup on the 25 express. It is still at "nightmare" levels of filth.

Window frames for the sides in the cabin have been butchered to I think, get new glass in at some point. The front cabin windows have plastic tape on the outside, and goopy silicone etc, so they have been leaking. Can I just go to a marine window outfit and get all new frames and glass, solid for the front, and sliders for the sides? Give them the measurements once I get the windows and frames out?

Topside (windshield) windows (every one) have bubbles and dirt between the layers of glass. They look bad. On this I am hoping to replace the glass, or is an entire frame and glass the way to go here too? I don't really want or need the windows to open. (These ones tilt open from the bottom)

Boat had at some point, carpet as a treatment for the inside walls by the bunks etc, on the bare fiberglass. Is there a padded or just thick good quality covering that is a go to product for finishing this part of the boat? Something dull, or not shiny, but waterproof, and hopefully a bit insulating etc. What is used there typically? And under the bow etc? This one is bare fiberglass with old glue and the remains of some other covering.

Thanks Steve
Navatech

Re: Windows,..and interior covering for bare fiberglass

Post by Navatech »

Don't know about windows but my 1985 46' Berty has a sort of very shaggy deep pile carpet type of stuff glued to the hull in the V berth...
Rocket

Post by Rocket »

Steve, you should come look at my express which is on blocks in my back yard. It is very original and will give you an idea of what to look for and what direction you might want to go. Let me know and we can set up a time that works for both of us.
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

That Shag carpet is nice, isn't it!? And the adhesive is a gooey mess. You will grind through the woving and create a port hole in the hull side if you try to remove it all. Scrape, sand, pull, dissolve, or whatever until the surface is flush. Sand with 80 grit until the woving ridges clean up. Hardened goo will remain in the crevasses. I'm guessing it is some type of polyester glue. At this point it is ready for finishing or new/different carpeting. With this prep schedule I have successfully bonded bilge paint to the surface, and epoxy/glass.

I can't help you with the windows other than to strongly suggest you not try to weld to the old aluminum. Weld will not stick. My windshield was ruined by an over-zealous welder that kept turning up the heat in an attempt to complete welds.

Pictures might be helpful and entertaining!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi
Howesounder

Post by Howesounder »

Hello all and thanks for the replys. Yes the shag carpet is a low point in human history let alone it's use in boats. Already have this nearly prepped for something new. I like the idea of some kind of closed cell foam for insulation of sound and temperature. Perhaps a foam backed waterproof vinel.

Regarding windows, I will not be doing any welding on these frames. They have been ruined, and from the Internet searches I have done so far, it looks like I need to remove the frames and windows, and get a measurement of the bare fiberglass opening, and have custom units made. Going to get this done this weekend, then slap them back in, to reduce the breeze through the cabin till the new windows arrive. They also suggest making full scale templates and sending them.

The main outside windshield looks tough. It looks like the glass will not come out of the frames. Perhaps if I remove the entire windshield frame and all (bolted in from below I suspect, and there is a liner to get through) for now I am going to ignore the nasty windshield and get on with the dozens of other things.

New (ish) gas tanks are now out and the install of these was very poor. No crossover between the tanks, and what few fasteners were used to hold these things in place, are all pulled out.So the boat must have had some adventures during the time these tanks were in to bust out # 10 screws. Mostly water in the tanks, so I will redo all hosing.

Regarding pictures, I have tried and failed to sort this one out yet. I do have a computer guy I use to help at work, so the next time he is here, I will share the explanation and "how to" the forum has kindly provided me with. I expect he will know what all those acronyms mean, and write up a procedure. Without a point by point written procedure, I am useless. (And sometimes with a written procedure)

Rocket I will send you a PM, and would very much appreciate seeing your boat.

Steve