GPS antenna question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Yannis

GPS antenna question

Post by Yannis »

As I'm preparing to splash, I found out my gps antenna is shot.
Given the old Simrad GN 33 that I have, with the outdated passive antenna, it is very difficult to find a new one either at the distributor's or on e-bay.
It is out of the question to invest € 1500 or so for a new (better no doubt) gps, so a friend suggested to buy an i-pad and download a gps app, buy the maps that I'm interested in and so on.
How possible is this alternative ? Does anyone have a better idea? Thanks.
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Re: GPS antenna question

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:As I'm preparing to splash, I found out my gps antenna is shot.
Given the old Simrad GN 33 that I have, with the outdated passive antenna, it is very difficult to find a new one either at the distributor's or on e-bay.
It is out of the question to invest € 1500 or so for a new (better no doubt) gps, so a friend suggested to buy an i-pad and download a gps app, buy the maps that I'm interested in and so on. How possible is this alternative ? Does anyone have a better idea? Thanks.
Yannis, I have Navionics on my iPad as well as on my iPhone... They also have an Android version... I use the iPad for planning and as a backup... Two things to keep in mind:
  1. These home/office use devices are quite delicate and you really do not want to get them wet... So you have to budget for a really good waterproof case (I use the LifeProof cases)...
  2. When using the GPS iOS devices (and presumably Android devices too) chew up the battery like it's going out of fashion... The problem there is that I don't know of a waterproof case that will allow you to charge AND preserve the waterproof environment...
Your unit was presumably equipped with the MGL-3 antenna... According to this the current replacement for that antenna is the MXB5... There's one on eBay for 150 GBP (in the UK, close shipping and possibly no VAT)... There's also a MGL-3 for sale in the UK for 295 EU...

Between the app, the maps and the waterproof case you're going to spend roughly the same sort of money (200-300 EU)... And I haven't even taken into account at least 200 EU for a used iPad... IOW, my suggestion is to get an antenna...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

I thought someone like you would propose to the ignorant me a viable solution !! Thank you.

I'll look into this and revert.

PS: My son has a very good waterproof case on his i-pad, I was thinking on picking it from him, although ehhh I haven't asked him yet!
The point is, as you're saying, the battery issue; not keen in blacking-out between reefs !!! (you know, the type of family where the kids are equipped with the latest technology while the dads are dealing with cells and pc's of the cavernous era...)
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav,

What is this "MX 525 A DGPS" sensor?
Do I have to buy that too? Separately?

Also, is this a "passive" antenna? It also has to be a 12 channel antenna, but I can't seem to be able to find verification for this.
Thank you.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Nav,

What is this "MX 525 A DGPS" sensor?
Do I have to buy that too? Separately?

Also, is this a "passive" antenna? It also has to be a 12 channel antenna, but I can't seem to be able to find verification for this.
Thank you.
Frankly, I'm not sure... not that well versed on Simrad... However, according the first link, the "MGL-3 DGPS COMBO ANT" has been replaced by the "SIMRAD MXB5"... According to this the "MX 525 A DGPS" sensor is part of the "SIMRAD MXB5"... I'm not sure if it's a 12 channel antenna but both the MGL-3 and the MXB5 have the "DGPS" in their name so I think the answer is affirmative...

If I were you I'd consult with my Simrad dealer... They should be able to verify the MXB5 is suitable for your system (though sometimes dealers know jack shit)... Otherwise, pose the question to Simrad's support staff... Or, play it safe and go for the MGL-3 I found for sale in the UK...

P.S. If you have the optional NMEA 2000 on your unit you have other options...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Thank you Nav.

I'm exploring possibilities; I'll come back with what I finally did.