Two road trips...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Two road trips...

Post by Navatech »

Just saw this somewhere else and thought it would be nice to share:

Jerusalem to Masada (near the Dead Sea) in under 4 Minutes 2015

Google street view timelapse. Highway 90 (Israel - Dead Sea area)

Remarks:
  1. The body of water that you may occasionally see on the left side of the screens is the Dead Sea...
  2. Route 90 is the longest Israeli road, at about 480 km, and stretches from Metula and the northern border with Lebanon, along the western side of the Sea of Galilee, through the Jordan River Valley, along the western bank of the Dead Sea (making it the world's lowest road), through the Arabah valley, and until Eilat and the southern border with Egypt on the Red Sea. The road passes through the West Bank near the city of Jericho, but does not enter areas controlled by the Palestinian Authority.
  3. Yes, Israeli drivers are absolutely bonkers!... Neither the Miami drivers, Rome drivers nor Greek drivers have anything on them!...
  4. Bertram connection: for a while the Dead Sea had an Israeli navy Bertram (no props - jet drives) patrolling it's surface... They would haul out the boat at the end of each patrol and hose it down with fresh water to counteract the corrosion... It helped but not that much...
Last edited by Navatech on Mar 25th, '15, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Yannis

Re: Two road trips...

Post by Yannis »

Wow, Nav, you're damn right; they drive very fast indeed !!
1973 B28 FBC/2007 4LHA STP's - "Phantom Duck" - Hull "BER 00794 1172"
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Wow, Nav, you're damn right; they drive very fast indeed !!
Yannis, these movies are so called time lapse movies... Instead of taking 50-60 pictures ("frames") per second (standard frame rate for video) they take much less frames per second but play them back at the regular frame rate... The result is that the video is "speeded up"... That's NOT the speed the drivers are driving... That's an illusion!... You can clearly see this in the first video which starts at "normal" speed and then gets speeded up...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

Nav, you should know that I know all this. It was just a joke !!

Cheers.
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Yannis wrote:Nav, you should know that I know all this. It was just a joke !!
Ah... Well, sorry then... The problem with written communication is that you lose all that other stuff (tone, body language) that makes spoken communication so different... A partial solution is to use the so called emoticons... So, for example, if you had added a ;-) I would have understood that you're just joking...
Yannis

Post by Yannis »

You're right, I should.

But, even so, I was not offended in the least. Don't worry pal.