EPIRB Mounting Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tony Meola

EPIRB Mounting Question

Post by Tony Meola »

For those you who have an EPIRB, I just picked up a ACR CAT II and was wondering what spot would be the best place to mount it. I was thinking on the bulkhead by the Cabin door. The only issue with that is I probably would not be able to hook it up to my GPS so it always transmit my on the first shot. Otherwise there is a delay in processing, or so the manual says.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Re: EPIRB Mounting Question

Post by Navatech »

Tony Meola wrote:For those you who have an EPIRB, I just picked up a ACR CAT II and was wondering what spot would be the best place to mount it. I was thinking on the bulkhead by the Cabin door. The only issue with that is I probably would not be able to hook it up to my GPS so it always transmit my on the first shot. Otherwise there is a delay in processing, or so the manual says.
A cat II will not deploy automatically so you should place it where it's handy to grab when you ditch... As for connecting the GPS, this is usually a NMEA 0183 connection and I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to hook it up anywhere you put it on a Bertram 31...

I'm assuming your unit has an internal GPS so you could do without the connection but when you connect the GPS the EPIRB will be able to transmit immediately your location... That doesn't matter much here in the south but up north the additional 10-15 minutes can make a big difference...
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I keep mine in a ditch bag that I put under my seat on the bridge before I leave the dock.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

PeterPalmieri wrote:I keep mine in a ditch bag that I put under my seat on the bridge before I leave the dock.
X2
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

I was trying to figure out if I should just keep it in the ditch bag, or if I wanted to keep it hooked up to the GPS so it has a faster response time. I figure up here, given the most we are off shore is 100 miles, they will get the signal fast enough to get a helicopter up and going, then by the time they are airborne, the Sat would have given them a good position.

Problem on our little boats keeping it hooked up limits spots to mount it so it is not in the way. The I thought about using a recessed fire exgtinguisher box, up on flybridge, right under the wheel.

But I like the simple approach, the ditch bag. I will go with Mike and Peter on this one for now.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315