Cockpit comfort

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Cockpit comfort

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Spent the day yesterday jigging 15-25lb bass all day the action was insane. Nothing I do to the boat is going to help my hurting hands and spagetti arms but man do my knees hurt. I don't see a lot of the guys rigged for fishing have combing pads, is the real solution getting rid of the side panels or will combing pads help? Not something I really want to add to the boat just becomes another thing to upkeep but bruised knee caps suck. Getting rid of the side and aft panels is obviously a bigger job.

Any thoughts?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Cockpit comfort

Post by CaptPatrick »

Knee pads? Whole lot cheaper and only use 'em as you need 'em....

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

You caught soooo many big fish that your knees hurt and you problem is what????
For those of us who haven't seen a Bass on the end of our line in, in... c'mon... pictures please.
S
Possunt quia posse videntur
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I could think of worse problems to have!
I think I spent about 500 on combing pads for the boat in 2006ish. They really looked good for about 5 years. Unless you do a lot of fishing I do not think they are worth it. This is coming from a free diver though. They are now taking away from the look of the cockpit due to the sun damage. I will be removing them before too long and filling the holes and painting again.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Kevin do you have side panels? Leaning in for balance may be more of the problem. I just had that area filled and painted so I'm hesitant to start adding more holes. From past experience the pads are nice until they fade and crack which is where you seem to be.

Stephan my problem is I have a job a mortgage, 2 kids, and a wife. Otherwise I'd be chasing fish everyday!

Here is one shot, notice later in the morning I couldn't hold the fish out for that bigger look. Layed her head up on my gut
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I do have the side panels. I could see where the old knees or legs would hurt without some sort of pad.
I have never been hands on with this or a similar product but have heard people say they are good.
I may give something like these a try on the next go around. No drilling needed!

http://www.seadek.com/c-8-coaming-bolsters.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tougher than vinyl and foam I suppose. I always had to turn a blind eye when folks were getting on and off the boat with shoes as the vinyl pads would scuff with black marks.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Kevin,

Those are nice, I have heard a lot but never seen them as combing. I know the deck pads hold up pretty nice.
lenco

Post by lenco »

was that your blue bertram returning from fire island inlet at around 11:00am today 10/19/13. if so how did you do out there?
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Peter,
We took off the side panels on Reel Cowboy and installed bolsters. By taking off the panels, you now have room for your little feetys to move around, without your toes getting crunched and less pressure on the knees. My fish box in the transom is also elevated off of the cockpit floor for foot room...all this makes a big difference on fishing comfort.
John.
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

lenco wrote:was that your blue bertram returning from fire island inlet at around 11:00am today 10/19/13. if so how did you do out there?
That was me. We were in the ocean at about 6:15 called in quits at 10:30 as I had to go home and put on my daddy clothes. The bass bite was great early but the tide slacked out and it was like a lake with no drift. We managed a couple of big blues on the surface at slack. I heard it turned back on around 11am.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

John,

It's a big job in my case because my teak deck doesn't meet the gunnels but I'm thinking long term that's the real solution.

Pete
lenco

Post by lenco »

i was out there at 7:00am and caught 4 monster blues and 1 30" bass. alot of boats out there. i was leaving
the grounds and could not keep up with you. i was doing 20kts. you were flying.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

What boat were you in? I never did over 22kts mostly I'm running between 19 and 21 kts. I came back on a 1/4 tank yesterday.
lenco

Post by lenco »

i have a 24ft rampage named jenny. i dock in bayshore on the west side of maple ave.