plastic portholes

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Todd Pearce

plastic portholes

Post by Todd Pearce »

HI, My B42 has plastic portholes that have a crack in them, they are rectangular and have two knob type screw downs to hold them shut, anyone have any ideas on replacements??
Bruce
Site Admin

Re: plastic portholes

Post by Bruce »

http://www.hightidemarine.cc/hatches.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any of these close?
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

I bought two replacement "windows" for my '83 B33 from Beckson. I believe Bertram favored them for a lot of the ports used when our boats were built. High Tide might have them if Beckson didn't make them.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Todd Pearce

Post by Todd Pearce »

Bruce thanks for our chat the other day,bulkhead came out real easy,I`am lovin workin on this boat,so well designed for easy maintenance

IR guy, I think you got it for me,looks like mine are Becksons,going to take some pics and measurements to confirm,I`ll be most impressed if they are, they list all the parts,its quite impressive that 27 years later they still support there product, I am so excited because it means I don't have to replace them completely ,and I can now service them all,Ya Hoo, also big thanks to everyone on this sight,the help and info is invaluable ,Imagine being,as I am, on the other side of the world where there is only a handful of these boats,no community for them, and no real service agent or parts outlet ,let alone people with the type of knowledge possessed by the members here, and trying as I am to bring a 1986 B42 up to standard,the shear amount of reinventing the wheel, or replacing whole parts when only a lense is required, the amount of head scratching,that would go on without this forum would be epic,infact I would go so far as to say ,It would be a Nightmare , instead of the fun that it is, SO BIG thanks to all
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Todd...

Glad my suggestion was helpful! If it makes things easier for you, let me know what you need and I can get them delivered to me here and then send them on to you.. I have done this a couple of times before for guys in other countries. I found the Beckson customer service people to be great to deal with.

As I recall there are two different designs for the ports on my boat.. so be sure you spec the correct one (I think the hinges are different.) I also bought new gaskets, as mine were crushed and did not seal well.

When I had my boat painted I had the port frames painted as well, with the new windows the ports now look brand new.
Last edited by IRGuy on Oct 15th, '13, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Check out http://www.newfoundmetals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I'm thinking of replacing mine on my Bahia Mar with their 317SS stainless port windows. They appear to be reasonably priced too.
Thanks,
Craig
1968 31 Bahia Mar 316-664 SeaZAR
2003 17 Cape Horn
1999 35 Contender Side Console
Dug

Post by Dug »

New Found Metals are the guys I worked with to get the 316 stainless bow chocks a few years ago. Great people.

Dug