Another Knee Replacement #4

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pete Fallon

Another Knee Replacement #4

Post by Pete Fallon »

Faithful,
I just got back from the Ortho doctor in FT Lauderdale, not good news. The 3rd knee that has been in since 2010 is shot. MRI results: Femoral component is loose 1 centimeter (top part), bottom part (tibial) is loose 2to 3 millimeters front to back and 1.5 centimeters left to right. Have to get a bone density test this week then it's decision time. I am really getting fed up with parts that my body doesn't like or the replacement parts are just plain made of crappy materials. I have been told to keep off of the leg use crutches and no survey work at all.

With this latest report,the boat really has to go along with all rods and reels,(Charlie J) are you still interested? I just lower the brokerage price to 35K listed by United Yacht Sales out of South Carolina.
Even the biggest ambulance chaser law firm in NY doesn't want to take my case, where is UV when I need him. I just had to vent, thoroughly pissed off.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Rawleigh

Re: Another Knee Replacement #4

Post by Rawleigh »

That really sucks Pete!! Sorry.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Pete, have never met you, but have read much of your good advice in the short time I have been a member of this forum. Best wishes to you for a better result this time.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pete, I am so sorry that you're having to deal with this same situation again; you don't deserve this garbage. My prayers are with you my friend.

Tommy
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Turn your thinking around Pete. Ditch the Florida Doctors and NY Lawyers. Get a NY Doctor and a Florida Lawyer.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Mike O,
Going to go a different route Massachusetts General Hospital and a Boston law firm. Going back to where it all started on February 5th 1978. Its hard to believe that I have been dealing with this problem for 35 years. Maybe I can get rid of the knee problem as well as the boat, I've had them both the same length of time. The boat is in better condition than I am. Really have had it with all the BS. Where is the FDA when you need them.
Tommy how is the new boat coming along?
Pete Fallon
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Pete, I realized that I enjoyed the hunt for the new 31 more than I enjoyed using it. I boat mostly on and around Cape Lookout Shoals and up Core Sound to Ocracoke Island. Given how shoally these waters are, I use my Everglades 243 OB, which is perfect for my boating activities. I caught an 8 pound permit on the shoals last Thursday (a Florida caption was with me and confirmed the species). I sold out of my partnership share of the 31 a few weeks ago, but Jim and Runyon have the SF Buddy Boy in showroom condition.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Tommy,
Nice catch, I know what it's like in your neighborhood skinny water great for outboards that can be trimmed up. Catch more exotic fish global warming?
Pete Fallon
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Pete, Sorry to hear about your knee problems...that's a lot of hardware you've been through. Boston is the place to go for medical issues. Hope they get you a knee that's as well built as your 31..hang in there..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob H,
Bob the thing that gets me is I've been telling the doctors for two years that the knee is loose, they just wouldn't listen. Finally I insisted on another MRI (have one done in August of 2010 8 months after the knee was installed, they couldn't see anything wrong). Now that the latest MRI shows major loosening they are scrambling to get it fixed, my doctor is actually making appointments with other doctors ( I think they are worrying about getting sued). Anyway it looks like I am going to get another knee different brand, different metal, ceramic and latest poly plastic material. The only problem is I am going to have to move to Boston area for 3 to 5 months in the winter, at least something is finally getting done. I keep the board informed, I will be out of commission until the Spring for any surveys. Thanks for the support from the board.
Pete Fallon
Carl

Post by Carl »

Pete- I wish you the best. Have to say I am glad to hear they are going with new style knee. Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome is the definition of insanity...unfortunately it you your sanity being lost. I so hope this surgery goes as the first should have...
John F.

Post by John F. »

Pete-

Good luck. Its gotta' suck to have to do over. You deserve better.

John
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If Bruce did the your install, you wouldn't be doing this 4 times.

I know this is a bummer for you Pete...but that's the first thing that came to mind. Hope you don't find the humor offensive.
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Pete,
This time it will work. You are stronger and more patient than I am that is for sure. I wish you the best and a speedy recovery.
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Thanks guys, you have to have some type of humor or we all would be dead. It just pisses me off that the big medical companies can get away with putting crap on the market. The plastic that was used as a spacer between the metal is basically recycled milk bottles, poly ethylene plastic, the newer stuff is treated a little differently but it's still poly ethylene, when they first came out with poly line for lobster traps everyone thought it was great, but after a couple of seasons it dried out, cut your hands something awful and it was real hard to coil. Anyway I've got to go through it again, can't spend the reat of my life walking around on crutches and I'm still young enough to go through the ordeal.
Pete Fallon