Rewire help 28b (31's must be similiar)-Thanks Cpt Patrick

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

CaptDana

Rewire help 28b (31's must be similiar)-Thanks Cpt Patrick

Post by CaptDana »

Hey faithful-- I am in the process of a rewire on my 28B-(installing a new panel under the dinette seat eliminating the v berth panel,subpanels, fuses, etc-- cleaning the bulkhead wall in the engine compartment of that hideous mess) The 60's wire setup of port and starboard banks is way old school-- I am wanting to change to a starting bank and house system-- but I have not been able to find much info or diagrams on how to do it-- The blue seas catalog has helped -but there are lots of left out parts-- Anyone that has been thru this or has a suggestion, I would love their input-(or diagrams) -It seems that thru the years this is is about the only thing I have not been able to find on the 31 site. If someone has reference material, it might be a help to others in the future.

Thanks for giving us this great place Capt Patrick

Capt Dana-- (snow and 19 degrees here in Michigan)
Dana Bonney
ScottD

Capt Dana

Post by ScottD »

Capt, Nigal Calders book on boat Maint. is a good reference on overall boat Maint., but it also discribes several ways to wire up a power system. I think you will be helped by the book, at least loook it over. I also think if you buy through the site, Capt. Pat gets some kind of commision to support the board.

ScottD
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Capt Dana,
Chiles has just done a total on his 25 which is spectacular and upto ABYC. At the moment, with his help, I'm doing my 31. Initially it looked like the express on Ebay so everything is new. If you're not in a rush I will fax you diagrams and email pix when we get it installed. This will have two banks (house and engines), new Paneltronics, AC/DC panel and bunches of goodies as close to ABYC as possible without being totally anal, or as Bruce says, it's a boat, not the space shuttle.
Give us until late April then bug the crap out of me and I'll send the goodies.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

CaptDana
Here is the diagram that I adopted from Charles marine to do my Bertram 26 and now Mikey's Dreamcicle. It allows for port and stb starting batteries, house batteries and all the redundancy and simplicity that can be had. This is the way new larger boats are being wired today. All wire sizes are determined by length of run and amps used. The Batt-Parr is the battery Paralell switch that you most likely already have. I have tons of information that I gave Mikey to help him guide his purchase decisions. Don't pay retail, there are many wholesale shops that will let you bulk order and save big $$$

Chiles

CaptDana

Mikey--quick question or any other experts

Post by CaptDana »

I am due to spash by May 1-- Maybe you could help answer a question or 2--- For the Start bank--- I am going to run a hot lead from the battery- to the start bank battery switch- and then to the starter on motor A-- can I then piggyback off of this starter to the starter on motor B or should it be seperate leads from the start bank battery switch( my thinking is only one motor is started at a time ) Motor A will have a lead come from the alternator to the start bank battery switch-- How do I also hook this lead up to the house bank( do I install an isolator or some kind of solenoid so that when this motor is running it will also charge the house bank?- from what I read- the key is to keep this bank from draining unless the alternator that supplies this bank is running) Motor B will have a lead come from the alternator to the battery switch on the House bank. ( and then on to my new panel) Of course I missing fuse placement etc-- Am I on the right track?
Dana Bonney
CaptDana

Chiles

Post by CaptDana »

Guess I should have waited another minute to see you posted when I did--Thank you for the diagram--So -from what I see, each alternator has an isolater that will charge all 3 banks when that alternator is running and the isolator keeps the banks seperate from each other. Right? What isolator did you use and where is the best place to shop and save on electrical ? Thank you for the diagram---the fog is lifting now.
Capt Dana
Dana Bonney
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

You are correct on the function of the isolator. I purchased the isolators from consumer Marine. You need to know what the output of your alternators are to size them correctly. I am using two 70 amp wired in the above configuration so that no matter which engine is running, all batteries are being charged. You will have to upgrade the size of the wire coming from the alternator to the isolator. Charles has a new single isolator that will handle two altenators, but I like having two for the redundancy.

Having spent lots of time researching and even learning some lessons the hard way, I have come up with a list. Some of these have been mentioned by others, but here is my top supplier list based upon my experience:

SJ Products http://www.sjproducts.com/
Wiring terminal ends, heavy gauge wire etc. They usually sell to West and others, but if you do a large order with items that West does not stock, they will sell direct. Great service, best source I have found for heavy gauge wire and heat shrink ends. Download the online catalogue and get your order prepared in advance, I faxed mine and got a price quote then placed the order.

http://www.commongroundmarine.com/
Best source for "different" color wire that West and SJ and others do not stock. I bought several 50' coils of wire with different color stripes and in different gauges. Top quality stuff and very good prices. Great service as well. If you want a white wire with a black stripe or things like that, this is the place to go.

http://www.marinewholesales.com/
Great prices on Blue Seas panels. Got me the "hard to find" or special order things I wanted. Slow to ship, but overall good service. This was for special for order blue seas items. Everyone here agrees that Bass makes one of the best, but BlueSeas are also very good. BlueSeas had a pre-made panel that was exactly the size and had the breakers I wanted. Check out Bass as well.

https://www.delcity.net/
Best source for individual marine grade toggle and other switches. Best customer service I have ever gotten from an on-line store. They also had really good prices on heat shrink. After I ordered the first time, they started sending me notices when ever those items went "on sale". They also carry special plug or harness kits for water resistant connectors. Think about these plug kits for items that you would want to remove for the winter or servicing.

www.consumersmarine.com
Best prices and customer service on Furuno, ACR and other electronics for me thus far. Another faithful sent me there and I was very happy. Buy when they have shows going on for deep discounts. They also had the best prices for 100' spools of two conductor smaller gauge.

Take your time to get a list of everything you need and buy as many items (heat shrink crimp ends) in the bulk packages. None of these suppliers had the best price for everything. I had to shop around, get quotes and then did my purchasing. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
CaptDana

Thanks

Post by CaptDana »

Thank you so much for the information-- I am going to look into the isolators-- When I replaced my alternators - I ended up putting in Leese Neville 100 and 150 amp alternators----of course--I am not consuming this much--but at an idle they help with demands from downriggers-radar- etc--I am hoping that the 70 amp isolators will still work for this situation--(this system has always been run with 50 amp mains on the alternator circuit--my thinking is any more than 50 is going to blow the fuse before it ruins the isolator) Any input here?

I promise --this is my last question :)

Capt Dana
Dana Bonney
Kingfish

Post by Kingfish »

One more site to look at for wire, cable and connectors.

http://www.bestboatwire.com/
Jim
1975 28 FBC
Chiles

Post by Chiles »

Charles makes larger isolators that can go up to 250 amps. I think you have the size them for the alternator output. Charles Marine has great technical people on staff that can answer these questions too.

Give them a shout.

Charles Marine Technical Assistance:

Chiles