You knew this would happen one day...

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

You knew this would happen one day...

Post by IRGuy »

Didn't you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbWpFMXADAY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Rawleigh

Re: You knew this would happen one day...

Post by Rawleigh »

The wonders of the electronic age. i read an article that says that quantum computers are becoming a reality and that no personal info, password or encryption will be safe from them. 1984 anyone??
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
Peter

Post by Peter »

The week point in the attack is the bridge officer who should be cross checking his location and course with radar and navigation aids like bouys and landmarks. But to do that you have to put down your beer.

I was delivering a sailing yacht with the owner aboard on a foggy day. It was pre-GPS but we did have LORAN. He was miffed that I was deliberately maintaining about 150 or so feet off the center line of the rhumb line between two bouys. It just irked him to see that CDI not centered.

I explained that I expected there would be motor yachts running the same course at speed using auto pilots controlled by LORAN and no one paying attention. So I preferred to be alittle off center. He wasn't convinced and he started to politely but emphatically insist I comply with his wishes to maintin dead center on the CDi.

It was just about to get testy when as if on cue a big motoryacht (about 90 feet or so I'd estimate) roared out of the fog right on the centerline. There were a bunch of people on the fly bridge enjoying themselves including two fellows in uniform whites that I took to be the captain and mate.

As quickly as they appeared they were gone again leaving us tossed in their wake. They never deviated from course. They never made any sound signal. They didn't hail on VHF. I honestly believe they had no idea they had just narrowly missed us, passing by about 60 feet off our starboard. I think if they had seen us on radar they would have given us a little more room. No idiot would deliberatly pass by another vessle that fast that close in the fog without communicating with them or at least a warning.

I didn't say a word.

The owner didn't say a word.

Several awkward seconds passed

and then he looked at me and said totally dead pan "I concede your point..... I'll reset the CDi to read here." and he disappeared below.

Peter
luis

Post by luis »

Maybe they already try it ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgdrGTkzAY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the best
1969 Hull #313-897
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

Peter wrote:and then he looked at me and said totally dead pan "I concede your point..... I'll reset the CDi to read here." and he disappeared below.
I know a few stubborn SoB's that wouldn't have given you that much... At least this owner was decent enough to actually admit he was wrong...
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

luis wrote:Maybe they already try it ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZgdrGTkzAY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All the best
That made some insurance company VERY unhappy!!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31