Flybridge Stability Question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Vince Luciani

Flybridge Stability Question

Post by Vince Luciani »

When I glassed in my windshield I removed the rear bulkhead to allow for better circulation of air into the cabin. Plus, I like the look of the boat without the bulkhead. So I was out on a trip yesterday in some rough weather and my friend comes up to the flybridge and tells me that the flybridge is swaying back and forth from port to starboard. I can’t believe him so I go below on the back deck to see for myself and sure enough, it is swaying. The glass work on the front windshield is solid and there is no evidence of movement there and no cracks.

I have a ’68 Sportfish model that had the optional bulkhead installed. Is it normal to have this “swaying” with the bulkhead removed? I am anxious to hear from others who are running without the bulkhead. Do you guys have movement?

Also, if not normal, any suggestions for shoring it up? Do I need to re-install the bulkhead.

Thanks,

Vince
JP Dalik

Re: Flybridge Stability Question

Post by JP Dalik »

All the weight that was supported by the bulkhead now runs on those pilasters. Generally it's a good idea to glass them in completely and resupport the areas below the gunnels. In most cases you will find yourself jacking the gunnels back into their original position and then building the supports below deck to support the weight of the house. After that you can strengthen the pilasters or glass them in fully.

We glassed in the engine box side panels, resupported the gunnels then glassed in the pilasters. It is pretty solid now.

Start with the foundation then go up from there
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Thanks JP. I can see how re-supporting the gunnels will strenghten everything. It sounds like I may have more glass work for me in the future.

I have always had this question for the guys that glassed-in the engine box side panels:

What do you do when you want access on the side of the engine where the side panels are located?

I find it almost necessary to remove the side panels to get access for repairs, maintenance, etc on that side of the engine (I'm a big guy LOL). I don't know how i would fit in there with the side panels permanently mounted.

Vince
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

rather than look at a ugly access hatch you install your cockpit w/p speakers dead center of inside pillar. just remove speaker an you have pull string to bridge to add or remove wiring,hydraulic steering lines,throttle/shift cables.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

Vince Luciani wrote:What do you do when you want access on the side of the engine where the side panels are located?
CHIMERA is Cummins powered so our port side is the tough side. General maintenance is a bit of a stretch but not unbearable. The raw water pump impeller is an annual bitch but you get used to it after a while. The 4d's slide out easy enough when it's time to change them. The starboard filters aren't terrible, one day we will remote mount them but nobody's been stuck back there yet so not this year.

The amount of strength gained by making those panels solid was considerable, but it was still necessary to resupport where the pilaster ended, just to much weight landing in an unsupported area

I'm not exactly a little fella, but I guess I bend real good. Good Luck
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

JP,

That port side with the replacement of the raw water pump impellers was exactly what I am concerned about.It's a tough squeeze now with the side panels removed. I'm glad to hear that you can get it with them inplace. Thanks for the info. Bob, it is access to work on the engine that I am concerned about with glassing in the side panels. Thanks,

Vince
Parker

Post by Parker »

I have a flybridge sport fish with the optional bulkhead and have been planning to cut out the top half of the bulkhead. I just haven't had the opportunity yet.
I discussed this with Capt. Pat some time back and verified with photos that it is an FBSF(with optional bulkhead). The 'optional bulkhead' on a FBSF looks like an afterthought in its fit and finish along the top, whereas it looks like it belongs on those with the bulkhead standard. He said that since it definitely is a FBSF, it was OK to cut out the top of the bulkhead because without the 'optional bulkhead' it is simply an FBSF with the same structural integrity as the FBSF models delivered without the 'optional bulkhead'. It apparently should not be removed if not the FBSF.

Tom P.
Vince Luciani

Post by Vince Luciani »

Parker,

Thanks for the reply. Yes my is definately the Sportfish model with the optional bulkhead. I thought that flybridge on the model was designed to be supported without the bulkhead and that is why I removed it. I am now experiencing some side to side racking. I got some cracks in the top of the pilasters where they meet the flybridge. I will get some pics up when I get a chance. I am regretting removing it right now.

Vince
Parker

Post by Parker »

I have noticed that when running at cruise even in only moderate seas there is a lot of squeaking going on where the bulkhead meets up with the underside of the flybridge. After hearing about your issues, I am now reconsidering removing mine. Maybe I will just cut some nice big 'windows' in it, take the door out and trim it up nicely. I am glad I saw your post before I took action!

Tom P.