Looking For Removed Flybridge

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnCranston

Looking For Removed Flybridge

Post by JohnCranston »

Hey guys, Thinking of converting our Bahia Mar to a Flybridge. The boat is gutted and now would be the time to do it. Anyone know of a complete flybridge laying around. Talked to Carl @ Elite Marine and he said he would keep an eye out also. Thanks John 713-906-0842
I'll never ruin a $50 buzz with a $4 sandwich
Dug

Post by Dug »

There is one in Bermuda if you go to the swap and sell board. Not sure of condition, but it is what you are looking for!

Dug
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Rawleigh-

I'm looking for the entire bridge and fly bridge. Elite only makes the top portion. Trying to contact the guy in Bermuda to see what he has.

Thanks, John
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Been wondering where you were hiding...

Of the 4 basic models of the B31, the Bahia Mar is certainly the most unique with only the hull being in common with the others...

I don't see any way you can, at least staying with classic lines, modify the Bahia Mar into a flybridge model. A least not without spending a real big load of money.

You could try to find one of the rare hard tops for the Bahia Mar & then add the flybridge on that, but your's would then be a rare duck for sure. Is this really a road you want to go down?

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

John, you ever look at Brewsters RLDT? Pull one of his posts then click on his boat name. Neat pictures and a workable solution, xcept maybe a little more finished tower
randall

Post by randall »

there was a bahia mar fly bridge in the harbor at oak bluffs....looked pretty cool from a distance but when i ran up to itin the inflatable...it was a little crude....but it can be done....express flybridges too
Brianb

Post by Brianb »

John,

I have an original Bahia Mar hardtop, and I believe there is a mold in Mexico for the original flybridge model flybridge. You can place the flybridge on the original hardtop.

give me a call 713-398-7764

Brian
JohnCranston

Post by JohnCranston »

Hey guys,
Talked to Carl at Elite boats and was told that if I found a complete fly bridge that it shouldn't be such a big job glassing it to the bahia mar hull after existing cabin was removed. My boat is stripped down to the stringers with a Cabrera deck and fish boxes in the back and a v-berth kit in the bow. Nothing in between. Just trying to come up with a different lay-out then I have now. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Just bought a new triple axle trailer from High Tech over in Panama City. Trailer is nice but the boat looks like sh-t.

Thanks, John
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

I guess the question is why? Most people who own Bahia Mars and Express Cruisers like them because they can run the boat and still be with the crew. They are also boats that can be fished alone should you wish to do so. Once you have a flying bridge, you are automatically the Captain and that's where your day is going to be spent. You'll have greater visibility, but you'll also get wetter. A tower on a Bahia Mar can be very sexy whether you use it or not. I'd suspect it might even be lighter than adding an express top and a bridge on top of that. My two cents. Walter
Hyena Love

Post by Hyena Love »

Boat looks fine. I checked it out over at that place this summer. That same guy did some cushions and pads for me.

A sportfish style - no rear bulkhead - deal might be a little easier. Use a shorty half tower with a landing as the sole driving location and refinish the salon with seating. Use canvas/plastic glass (however you spell the name of that stuff, isenglass) as the cabin sides/back. Removeable in the summer, or roll them down and pump up the A/C. Basically, the Judge's boat, less the downstairs station plus a half tower.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

John,

Carl, in my opinion, has shot you a load of BS on this one...

The coaming configuration, as it lands on the Bahia Mar fore deck, is totally different than for the SF, FBC, or Express. There would be considerable re-designing of the cap after cutting out the Bahia Mar coaming, before a stock house and flybridge could be retro fitted.

Just my worthless opinion, but this conversion would be a bad decision

Could it be done? Sure. But, "shouldn't be such a big job glassing" is blowing smoke...

Br,

Patrick
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
neil

Post by neil »

you have a bahiamar be happy thats its not an rldt the higher you get the worse it is just my 2 cents
thuddddddd

Post by thuddddddd »

you tell him Neil...............