Perkins advice needed

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Ripsangler

Perkins advice needed

Post by Ripsangler »

My builder tells me that my Perkins T6.354 engine's piston kits are $800 each and change. He said that they are a high performance pistons. My rebuild for one engine is going to be $15,000. Is this a good number? I am having sticker shock. Any ideas? Thanks, Kurt.
Harry Babb

Re: Perkins advice needed

Post by Harry Babb »

Ouch! ! !

I don't know much about Perkins marine parts but I have 2 tractors with 3 cylinder Perkins engines......I don't remember the rebuilds costing much at all......

Shop around......

These guys may be able to help.....

http://www.powerlinecomponents.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck

hb
hb
allhookedup

Post by allhookedup »

Click here: New Overhaul Kit Massey Perkins A6 354 6 354 s N 8060154 to 8504189 MF44B
| eBay looks like all good stuff. may need to cut and paste
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Kurt,
I have volvo engines 42 series. One sleeve and piston kit cost me $680. The entire overhaul kit includes every thing for upper and lower for a total rebuild and costs about 6k. Most of the guys here will agree that volvo parts are expensive. Something doesnt seem right for that amount. See about an entire rebuild kit, as with volvo the kit was alot cheaper that individual componet purchase. Matt
Ripsangler

Post by Ripsangler »

Thanks for the responses. I have to talk to the builder about this. I don't want to insult him but these are big numbers.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Where are you in S. Jersey?

If you are near Forked River, give them a call. If John can't help you out, ask him if he can recommend someone. He is Cummins and Yanmar Dealer but he can works on other engines also.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Frankly it depends on what your repair shop considers a complete rebuild. That can be as simple as putting a new kit in every hole to rebuilding the complete engine and all engine components back to factory specs.

Don.t be afraid of having your repair facility write down exactly what they will be doing.

Pricing out parts to check what your being charged and told is as easy as calling other dealers or parts houses to check.

Don't ever feel that asking your repair facility questions will somehow insult them.
If they act that way toss em cause they are just legends in their own minds like those wankers on gas monkey.

Try this link for finding other Perkins outfits for reference.

http://www.perkinspower.com/contactUs/d ... twork.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's another link for Perkins.

http://www.tadiesels.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Btw do you know if they are 3 or 5 ring engines?
CamB25

Post by CamB25 »

Ouch, Bruce! Bustin' on the boyz at Gas Monkey!? Really? You don't want an F40 with a twisted frame, half-assed motor mounts and fine-tuned with a ball peen hammer for $400k? All with video documentation? ha!
1963 Bertram 25
1973 Boston Whaler 13 - sold!
1998 Scout 172 SF - beach taxi