LEDs vs Incadescents.. good info

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

IRGuy

LEDs vs Incadescents.. good info

Post by IRGuy »

I have been confused about how to compare LED light output with traditional incadescent bulb output. Today I stumbled upon this info published by MarineBeam. I have no affiliation with this company, and do not own any of their products, so I can not recommend or criticise them.

http://store.marinebeam.com/coouinlu.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Mikey

Re: LEDs vs Incadescents.. good info

Post by Mikey »

I'm still confused. Too much information for this ADD dyslexic to read. What I want to know in the simplest terms is how does an old fart like me compare the incandescent rating (watts) to the LED rating (lumens). Just that simple. When I'm standing in Home Despot totally confused and some smart-ass geek starts with the condescending diatribe on same I just want to stuff a 100 watt down his throat and say, "How damn bright is it, A55 h0le!
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein
IRGuy

Post by IRGuy »

Mikley...

I am with you! What I plan to do is find hopefully several guys with LED interior lights and see what they used and if they put out enough light.. and buy what I want based of their performance. I really can't see any other way.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

From the discussion with Keith about flood lights: http://www.bertram31.com/newbb/viewtopi ... tts#p89377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We've been misled by the lighting industry almost from the start to think in terms of watts as to equal brightness. Watts is the measure of power consumption, lumens is the measure of light production... Watts are used in figuring out the power of lumens and candlepower, but refer only to the energy being used, not the light.

LED light emission is usually given in lumens as opposed to watts in other lights.

The comparison for an LED vs 300 watt halogen would be 2600 lumens for the LED, which is only 36 watt power draw.
Now talking about interior lighting: A 100 W tungsten incandescent (120 V) gives off 1,750 lumens. An 80 watt incandescent gives off about 800 lumens.

So when shopping for LED interior lights you want something in the 1,000 to 1,800 lumen range. Then do you want it warm (2700k - 3000k), cool (3500k - 4100k), or daylight (5000k - 6500k)?

For example: Here's an 18-LED 1800-Lumen 6000K 18W White Light LED Ceiling Lamp for $60... http://www.lazerpoint.com/p-18-led-1800 ... er_4760173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Mikey and other seniors I might shed some light (pun intended) on the subject. First the temperature number are confusing so I will tell you in a Bertram cabin choose a led at 2700k no exceptions! You want a warmer tone . Mikey 2700k would be the same color as you would see if you hung a regular 50 watt A lamp in the cabin ceiling just like you would have put in a table lamp for the last 50years.a 4000k is disgusting ,stark white light (like a fluorescent screw in lamp that looks like two tubes or some look like a pigs tail used lately to replace "A" lamp incandescent) . Most of the time LED manufacturers will tell you the equivalent wattage of a A lamp that the LED will produce in terms of equal lumens so you can compare with "A" lamp.we would want to use overhead in Bertram cabin 4 LED's placed one in center of doorway,two equal over dinette,one over center of galley.a LED equal to 40 or 50 watt will do nicely with a soft touch even better with a dimmer for dining at night.so we need 4 recess LED's at 2700k and 40 to 50watt ( equavalent) to light up a 31 Bertram cabin.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
Carl

Post by Carl »

or you can do what I do...

wait for someone else to buy one and soon as I see one I like, ask...what's that. Get the info and go shopping.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Pat, Bob,
Think I got it now. Remember I'm Irish. Cute as hell but a bit slow on the uptake.
Off to shop for lighting.
Thanks.
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Remember I'm Irish
No excuse, Mikey... I'm Irish too, execpt when spending money, then I'm Scottish.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mikey: Get extras. You can always dim them, but it hard to brighten them up! We are not as young as we used to be remember.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Careful Captain, you know how a scotsman finds a sheep in tall grass dont you?..........................satisfying.
Lumens aside, which led light gives off a slightly yellowish light and not a bright white or blueish tint?
I want to do the cabin as well.
Thanks
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Matt,

warm light 2700k - 3000k...
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Patrick,
About ten generations back Great etc. etc. grandfather from Scotland married great etc.etc. grandmother from Ireland and thus reunited the Kennedy clans. Not sure the significance but when I'm in a pub I want another pint and I'm always looking for someone else to pay for it. It's a tough combo.
Matt,
Satisfying!?!?!?! Got to tell my brother. What a hoot!
Mikey
-Albert Einstein
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Captain Pat. With the FBC standard layout head to stbd aft galley forward. About how many led recess light will it take to properly light the salon. Thanks in advance. Matt
matt ciarpella

Post by matt ciarpella »

Captain Pat. With the FBC standard layout head to stbd aft galley forward. About how many led recess light will it take to properly light the salon. Thanks in advance. Matt
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin

Post by CaptPatrick »

Matt,

On Hancock's B31, I used 6 in the cabin. Then 1 in the head and 2 in the V-berth, for a total of 8 fixtures.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe