Windshield Frame Bolts

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Bill B

Windshield Frame Bolts

Post by Bill B »

Hi Gents,

I am refurbishing the aluminum windshield frame in my B31. As many of you know, there is an internal frame over the curved plexiglass. That internal frame is kept in place by dozens of T-head bolts that apply pressure between the internal and external frames, essentially sandwiching the plexi. Many of the T-head bolt snapped during disassembly, and I am now in search of new bolts. The "T" of these bolts slide into a channel on the external frame. Richard Kidd, Fastenal, Grainger and many marine stores have been canvased. Nada. Anyone know where I can score some?

1/4" thread. The base of the T is 7/16" W x 5/8" L.

Many thanks! Bill
STraenkle

Re: Windshield Frame Bolts

Post by STraenkle »

They are the same bolts that hold down your toilet. Availible anywhere, Lowes, Home Depot, have brass, I think McMaster Carr has them in stainless.
Scott Traenkle
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bill,

Try T-Nuts.com... You'll probably have to buy longer bolts and cut to the correct length. Use a good isolation lube, such as TefGel when re-assembling.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Bill B

Post by Bill B »

Scott and Patrick,

Great options. Thanks so much for the information!

Bill
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bill,
The T bolts are available at any large plumbing supply house, usually they are bronze or brass, if your lucky you can find stainless. I used bronze one's from Salem Plumbing Supply in Beverly, Ma. they had to be cut down, make sure you use Tef Gel paste on bolts between aluminum frames and what ever bolts you find. When you put the new Plexi back in make sure you have some "pillow blocks" of rubber between the frames and the Plexi for shock absorbers especially near the middle part of the curve at the bottom. Keeps the Plexi from having a hard contact with the frames. Take it slow when installing Plexi, I used commercial grade black window sealant as a caulking compound.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

If your willing to do a little "Creative Grinding", the "Tee" bolts can be made from a hardware store stainless steel "1/4" Carriage Bolt"

I used a belt sander to grind the round head, on 2 opposing sides, down even with the Square just under the head of the bolt. The bolt is slightly Oval headed and you may have to grind the thickness of the head down slightly.

Its inexpensive.......its Stainless Steel......its available at most any hardware store.....and it fits perfectly......

hb
hb