Fresh water tank

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Fresh water tank

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Anyone have a photo of the top of the fiberglass tank?

Mine has a triangular opening, with a plexiglass cover and a fill fitting. The plexiglass is broken and I need to replace it, could be easy to just replicate what it there but I am curious what the original looks like or the better improved solution.

Also mine fills by openning the deck hatch in the cabin and shoving a hose in it, is that the normal or are you all running a hose to a deck fill?

Thanks,

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Craig Mac

Re: Fresh water tank

Post by Craig Mac »

Peter,

Will try to get you a pic, but mine fills at the tank, no deck fill. If i had a deck fill would probably take out , I like it clean.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Pete-
I second Craig's point. I have a fill from the deck but don't use it as I have no way of seeing how full the tank is. I just pull the floor up and dump a hose in. I've also gotten used to seeing the inside of the water tank and feel better knowing the water is clear. I use that water for a rinse after swiming or chasing the salt from gear - no drinking or cooking.
Best,
Stephan

p.s. If your son hasn't alreadt discovered it...for the 3-5 yr old set the salt water wash down is good for almost endless fun.
Possunt quia posse videntur
Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Mine is all green fiberglass with X shaped stiffner molded in the top. It has a little bronze fill port in its top. I added a Beckson deckplate for easy scrubbing out and a vent. No plexi in sight!
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

To be clear mine is the original tank. The triangle inbetween the X is cut out and a piece of plexiglass was put in it's place with a fitting to fill it. The plexi broke and I've left it unscrewed because it's easy to inspect when I fill it. I'd rather have something that I didn't have to unscrew like a deck plate, good idea.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Peter is this what you are talking about?
Here is a closer pic. Mine has a pice of fiberglass 5200 to the top of the tank. Like said above I just place hose in it ti fill. I also wash it out yearly.
1976 FBC
3208 NA
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thank you that is similar to except I have plexi. I will replace as is. I don't know if I will use 5200 maybe just screws. It's nice to get your arm in there to clean out the gunk.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Peter I have one better 1/2" lucite------- much stronger and I will cut to size. --------- need forty pounder!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

If you've got an extra piece that would be great.

As for a 40lber we will have to search them out in the bay for now. I've decided to not navigate the inlet until it looks better. I was out the weekend before Mother's Day and the western tip of demo was an island. Two weeks later it was gone. On a fairly windy day the inlet was whitewater straight across. It's navigable but I don't feel it's worth the risk.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

I just splash the "Phoenix" so I planning on running the inlet in a week or so.Sea tow is station at Oakdale Yacth so I ask for navigation out inlet." Run parallel to land past sore thumb until you observe the big flag pole then 90 degrees south. Do not follow new buoys at turn going south you will be aground in 50'. Dredging with absolutely no regard for boating just replenish sand for beaches . Did you expect anything differant from politicians.
I have clear lucite 1/4" and 1/2" also tinted lucite 1/4" all you want.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob in regards to the inlet I've been to and out in the little boat a few times. The fact that an island that was 30ft across and 100ft wide sticking above the water 7-10 feet just disappeared in 10 days freaks me out. It's significantly different each time and likely in the fall they'll have a dredge out there. Not writing it off entirely, just not feeling good about it. GPS and radar (I don't have radar) are not much help except to follow a track in. I am normally pretty adventurous but I just don't have a good feeling.

If the 1/4 clear lucite is just scrap that I can take a small piece from, that would be great. If I'm gonna ruin a sheet on you I'd rather not bother. I don't have it with me but I'd guess it's no more than 16" in any length. Let me know...
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Peter you would think there would be some kind of higher authority moving major traffic buoys leading to ocean.sea tow brought in a 32' contender with triple 250hp . The owner rounded that last western buoy at idle speed depth was over 10' all the way thru new dreging area in inlet. He then drop the hammer to go out .those big center consoles draw more then our 31' Bertram getting up. Bam he put all three into the rocks,sand and other garbage from dredge.all three lower units destroyed as well as one power head.cannot sue Feds! For this one
I have a clear piece of lexan 1/4" x 12"x 36" .brand new still wrap in protective wrap .i will put in truck tonight,give me a ring and we can connect.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

Thanks for the offer been to busy to get out to oakdale but I will soon. Thanks.

I know there is a lot of work going on at OYC but I hope you are making time to fish.

Pete