IRGuy's Titebond III Veneer Adhesive Tested

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

IRGuy's Titebond III Veneer Adhesive Tested

Post by JohnV8r »

OK Guys,

Here is my test on Frank's Titebond III veneer alternative to contact cement.

To start, I found a piece of alder veneered plywood that had a huge gouge in it. I filled that with Bondo (Cam's suggestion) and sanded it with 60 grit to see if the Titebond would adhere to it as well as the wood.

Next, I followed Frank's instructions and put a liberal amount of Titebond III on both surfaces.

I let that dry thoroughly so there was no tack to it at all. I was really surprised that there was NO bite or tack at all when the two pieces were put together. The surfaces slid easily against each other.

Next, I put the two pieces together, set an old t-shirt over the veneer and hit it with an iron on the "Cotton" setting. I let it cool and here is what I got:

What you can't really see is how absolutely bullet proof this is. I tried to put a metal putty knife under one end to try to pry it up...nothing. I was shocked that it didn't need more cure time to be more firmly adhered, but it was rock solid.

This ranks right up there as one of the best tips I've gotten here in the last 10 years!!! Thanks Frank for sharing this one. It's a winner!!!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
IRGuy

Re: IRGuy's Titebond III Veneer Adhesive Tested

Post by IRGuy »

John...

Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the feedback. I have given this technique to a couple of pros in the boatbuilding and custom furniture business and they were surprised at how simple it is.

I do have one comment for you though.. it looks as if you applied more glue than necessary on at least the base piece.. I did that on one piece and found that while the glue held fine, where there was too much glue the surface of the veneer seemed a little bit irregular, not smooth. I believe I had so much glue between the two surfaces it had nowhere to go when it melted so it seemed a little bit "lumpy" after it cured.

Now reheat a part of your test piece and see how easy it is to peel the veneer away! (But only while the glue is hot!)

Was your veneer paper backed? I have not tried this with plain non-backed wood veneer.

Good luck.. looking forward to hearing about your finished product!

Frank
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Yes, paper backed.

As for the glue, it was heavier than I would ordinarily use because I spread it with my finger for the test patch. It dried evenly. It also looks extra thick in the picture because it is still wet in the photo.

Either way, this is the best alternative to contact cement I've ever seen!
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Peter

Post by Peter »

Totally cool!

My mind is already thinking of ways to use it in other situations.... As long as y ou can get the glue joint hot enough to soften the glue without distorting the part it could be used in a number of ways.

Thanks for the follow up.

Peter