Wet engine room

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Navatech

Wet engine room

Post by Navatech »

I understand that many Bertrams suffer from a wet engine room due to the design of the air intakes.

In fact, the Bertram31 web site advertises redesigned Air Boxes. Are these effective?

Unfortunately I don't believe these will fit my 46'6" Bertran SF. Any other suggestions?
IRGuy

Re: Wet engine room

Post by IRGuy »

I can't speak for anything other than my Bertram 33 FBC, but I never felt there was any problem with rain or seawater from the scoops on deck, nor have I heard of any other Bertram owners complain of a wet engine room. You are the first.

When I rebuilt my boat recently I removed the deck scoops, filled the holes they left, and designed and built my own air boxes into the sides of the hull. I didn't do this to eliminate or improve anything, I simply wanted to get rid of the scoops and make the boat more modern looking.
Frank B
1983 Bertram 33 FBC "Phoenix"
--------------
Trump lied! Washington DC isn't a swamp.. it is a cesspool!
Buju

Re: Wet engine room

Post by Buju »

Navatech wrote: Unfortunately I don't believe these will fit my 46'6" Bertran SF. Any other suggestions?
Probably not, but that'd obviously depend on your power and it's air intake requirements.
As for other suggestions, I'd PM / email / or call Capt Patrick to inquire on him making some custom fabricated for your specific needs.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.