What do I do with my Mercruisers?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

JohnV8r

What do I do with my Mercruisers?

Post by JohnV8r »

I know this sounds a little silly, but what do I do with my Mercruiser Series 72 big blocks when I have them pulled out? My biggest concern is that the starboard engine sounds like it has a thrown rod. My port engine runs, but I was concerned that it was running a little rough (i.e. the beginnings of an ethanol problem).

Bottom line is I don't want to stick anyone with problem/ethanol damaged engines. Certainly, there are parts on the engines that are of value. The risers, manifolds, heat exchangers, etc, are all in good shape. Anyone have any ideas on how I should move forward ethically?
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
Kevin

Re: What do I do with my Mercruisers?

Post by Kevin »

John,
I would think as long as you are straight forward with your assessments and price them accordingly you will find a buyer. Someone out there is looking for big blocks to rebuild. Just need to find them.
Hope that helps.
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

John

I got about $600 a side for mine. They ran fine. One had a lifter hanging up. One is still running in an old 33 Post the other not sure about.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Navatech

Post by Navatech »

I know a guy here in Hollywood, FL who's always on the lookout for cores. Especially big blocks.
JohnV8r

Post by JohnV8r »

Would you guys put them on Craigslist or is there some other site you would use?
Bertram 31 - The Best Boat Ever Built
STraenkle

Post by STraenkle »

I sold mine on craiglist in less than 2 days. I had a couple shattered lifter on the starboard engine (ethonal) which I just replaced and made it thru the season, but I am sure those pieces of metal ripped the engine apart. List both motors and borg warner gears for $1500, called them running, but needs/must have rebuild. Gone in days. hope the guy that bought them actually rebuilt them, but he only wanted one engine and sounded like he was a throw it in and paddle home if needed kinda guy.
Scott Traenkle