paint question

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

ljmauricio

paint question

Post by ljmauricio »

How many mixed gallons of Awlcraft will I need to paint the hull on a 31? One gallon when properly mixed and reduced will yield a little over 2 gallons after adding the activator and reducer. The application guide says one gallon will cover 230 square feet to the proper mil thickness. I figure the hull from the tub rail to boot stripe is a little under 200 square feet, so 1 gallon ( 2+ after mixing) should do it, but I would rather depend on someone who has done it rather than the theoretical coverage of an application guide. Anyone have the answer??
Bob H.

Re: paint question

Post by Bob H. »

I just shot my hull with awlgrip, I used two quarts of color, mixed out to one gallon, I sprayed on 4 coats. Start VERY thin let it get tacky. Keep adding thin coats till coverage is just right.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
ljmauricio

Post by ljmauricio »

Bob, thanks for that. Did you spray convential or HLVP?
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

I used a 2 qt pressure pot conventional gun..JP gave me a tip which I swear by...take a sheet of formica put in your paint area, get the gun set up just right on this test piece then spray hull, go back to test panel after 30-45 minutes finger test, looking for tacky then shoot the hull again..too soon and she will run..BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Whaler1777

Post by Whaler1777 »

Bob we want pics!!!
'79 Bertram 31' Sedan
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

hey john your camera broken to, lol
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Ok John here are a few teasers...BH
Hull Whisper Grey
House off white revisited
Roof & trim whisper grey