Wind screen repair

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Kevin

Wind screen repair

Post by Kevin »

My plexiglass wind screen up on the bridge is broken. What is the best type of glue for this repair?
Package tape got be by last summer. Is there a chemical that will "weld" the plastic together? It is black so just looking for strength as I dont look through it anyways.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Wind screen repair

Post by CaptPatrick »

Kevin,

Weld-On #4 is what you need... Water thin so be sure to buy an applicator or use a hypo needle and srynge
=http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Plexiglass_Glue

Make sure that the break is tightly fitted and apply the Weld-On at the top of the crack and let capillary action carry the solvent down. If the solvent stops before it gets to the bottom of the crack, drill a tiny hole at the stopping point and apply another shot. Repeat as necessary. The weld is almost immediate and permanent.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks Pat. Now I am laughing at myself for not asking this last year.
Package tape, really. Only I would do something like that.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

It's probably ethylene dichloride, and will be much cheaper from a chemical supply shop.

To make an applicator, you need a 1/4" diameter glass tube, a flame source, and a triangular metal file.

Light the fire. Heat the glass tube somewhere near the middle until it softens. Pull the ends of the tube in opposite directions until the heated part is about the diameter of angel hair pasta. Remove from the flame and allow to cool. When cool, score the middle of the tube with the file and snap.

Dip the skinny end of your new pipette into the ethylene dichloride and then put your thumb over the top hole. Apply to the crack by making believe you're a 6 year old with a straw and some chocolate milk....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I think I might try using one of those dental water picks first and see if the stuff will pass though the opening. I can always make the opening larger if needed. It is plastic though, it might wild itself closed!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

A glass hypo needle will work.
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Post by CaptPatrick »

A plastic container is fine. The stuff won't react with anything but acrylic.... Most plastic containers are polyethylene. A squeeze bottle with a stainless pipette is the most controllable and convenient.
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe