Yanmar Air Filters...Bruce?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Tommy

Yanmar Air Filters...Bruce?

Post by Tommy »

In following the thread on the Yanmar 4LH, I see where one owner recommends the aftermarket S&B airfilters offered by Tony Athens. Does S&B offer a filter for the 6LP-STE 315 HP? Bruce, do you recommend upgrading the air filters on my Yanmars, or is the factory filter OK in your opinion? Like everyone else, I'm always open to a better mousetrap.

Tommy
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Tommy,
As you know Yanmar doesn't use filters but foam bands over the air intake or enclosed in a housing.
If the foam is replaced at regular maintenance intervals, it will be fine. If ignored it will fall apart and get sucked in the intake.

Some people will argue that the foam is not dense enought to keep small particles out of the intake system and thus can cause abrasion in the cylinder. Every Yanmar engine I've repaired or rebuilt with properly maintained air foam did not have this problem.

You don't run into the same type of debris you would have say in an off road or hwy situation so the foam inserts seem to do the job just fine.

Now S&B or K&N filters which are basically the same design are superior over regular paper air filters if that is what came with the engine. They do allow more air flow due to the pleated design which helps with combustion and will save fuel.

Save your money and stick with the foam bands.

The only thing that would possibly benefit your engine would be a cold air induction system which is basically a system designed to bring air to the engine from outside the engine room area. The cooler the air the better the engine performs.

But again I really doubt you would see much benefit vs the cost of such a system in your average non performance boat.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Thanks Bruce,

Fresh foam rings it is........

Tommy
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

Bruce what about the oil sep running into the air filter band should I run it off to a seperate container or leave it were it is? Does it scew up the turbo or gum up the system? This is on the Yannie 315 lp6.
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Just fine where its at. A little oil film helps trap the air bourne particles.

Wash gently with soap or water if you see too much in the way of debis on the filter and let air dry.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

thanks