Tally Ho!

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Stephan

Tally Ho!

Post by Stephan »

Boys-
If I ain't out by Memorial Day one of you please come after me...
Possunt quia posse videntur
Bob H.

Re: Tally Ho!

Post by Bob H. »

Stephan, That looks pretty clean under there....Hope you make it out...whats the plan? BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bob-
The aft engine bulkhead was delaminating and tabbing. I am fortunate that whoever put the deck down considered it coming back up.
Immediate plans are the bulkhead. This thread is also a warning that I will have a million questions about:
Bilge Pumps
Bonding
Decking
Drainage
Engine Ventilation
Exhaust Plumbing
Fairing
Fire Suppression
Garboard Plugs
Laminating
Rudder Tables
Shaft Logs
Strut Pads
Swim Platforms
Tabbing
Underwater Lights
Wiring
Etc...
I am pleased to report that since taking the deck up I have found a fender, several fishing rod tips and a nickel..... so I've got that going for me...
Best,
Stephan
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Stephan, That nickel will be the first in a long line of may that your ride will devour...Starting with bulkhead, use door skin or 1/4" plywood ripped into 1 1/2" strips cut up and hot glue together to make up your bulkhead template. I still have mine kicking around somewhere, your welcome to use them to get you started. What year is your 31? Dont dig too deep or you'll end up like me..nibble away at "managable" projects and get her back in the water. BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Bob-
Yeah, I'm lookin for that nickel's cousins...
Thanks for the good templating advice. Fitting the bulkhead is not as daunting to me as tabbing it properly...
I have a bottle of Patron I need to deliver to you... might there be a time on Saturday or Sunday afternoon I could come by?
Best,
S
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

S, Saturday is boat day...got primer to sand...anytime after lunch is fine for a visit..BH
gplume

Post by gplume »

Stephan-
Where are you located ( boat) .....i am in North Scituate, about 20 min from Providence. My boat is in Warwick at Dickesons. Would like to hook up and see the project in the next few weeks if ok with you. Always ready for some "bench racing".

Bob-
Would like to check yours out also....been busy with some home projects and work. As i said, I,ll bring the black bush....or at least a few IPA's. Want to make sure I catch you when you are finishing so we don't derail progress. Can't wait to see where you are at.....sounds almost ready!
Giff
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

Giff-
The boat is in Newport let me know any time you would like to visit.

Bob-
Thank you very much for taking time for my visit on Saturday. The example you set is extraordinary and inspiring. I am pondering how you could calculate trailer weight.... all that unobtanium you've packed in there! If I were a quicker study I would have been a better guest and offered something more than the, "...gosh", "...oh my" and "...wow" that I blabbered.
Even I was not too dense to notice the trademarks of fellow bertram31.com members. If you all are half as smart as Bob takes the time to explain in describing your contributions, well, damn! All I know is every time I've met somebody as unquestionably accomplished as Bob who takes the time to make sure I understand other folks talents and smarts... then I get to learn about a lot more than boats.
Thanks,
Stephan
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Stephan,
Thanks for the visit, nice to share my progress with fellow Bertram Brothers..The Patron will stay on the shelf until I get her done..only then I will break it open and christen her proper. Making progress by leaps and bounds, and hope its an early summer splash. How much exactly does unobtanium weigh? Im on a strick weight budget, need to make sure she goes along at a blistering pace.
Stop by anytime and bring all the questions youd like, Ive almost completed my masters program from the Bertram Sandbox under the guidance of Capt. Pat.
BH