Fighting Chair for 31 Advice

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

wlbsr

Fighting Chair for 31 Advice

Post by wlbsr »

Have been thinking about adding a fighting chair this winter. I have been fishing with 2 $400 worst marine 4 legged swivel chairs with gimbals for two years and have thrown no less than three people onto the cockpit floor. I think the chair and the added rod holder capacity will be a welcome addition for the 10 - 15 offshore trips per year but wonder if it will get in the way on the 10-15 picnic trips and cruises. I found this one new for about $2500... its a pompanette 80 lb. Any thoughts?

thanks in advance - Bill

http://s804.beta.photobucket.com/user/w ... 7.jpg.html

Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
CaptPatrick
Founder/Admin
Location: 834 Scott Dr., LLANO, TX 78643 - 325.248.0809 bertram31@bertram31.com

Re: Fighting Chair for 31 Advice

Post by CaptPatrick »

Bill,

Only takes 3 bolts/screws to remove the chair from the cockpit when it might be in the way....
Br,

Patrick

Molon labe
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I remove the back and foot rests for family days. I do like having the rocket launcher on with the Todd cup holders in the launcher and using the seat as a snack table, with one of those sticky mats that you would put under a cutting board at home in the kitchen. It also gives everyone an easy place to grab on in the center of the boat. Can still easily fit 4 deck chairs and a cooler plus lounging out on the engine boxes. A bucket hanging from the strike gimbals makes for a nice garbage pale or a wine bucket with some ice in it. all this and you can still comfortably walk around. My wife thought it was going to be inconvenient on family trips but not so....
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Bill, Check it over good, the legs for the footrest pit easily if they're aluminum, cost big $ to replace. My dad gave me his Murray broters chair which Im in the process of rehabbing, I went with the rocket launcher back rest to add more rods for trolling/storage. Make sure you have a good backing plate in or under the deck to anchor it down. The chair does make for a great tool for fishing and when you get back to the dock, a place to sit end enjoy a clear or two.BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

My son whom does most of the rigging is adamant about the rocket launcher in back of chair.would never go offshore without it.pretty silly hanging over the gunwale while tying a knot / changing lures when you could put the rod in chair and lean against chair in 6' seas to steady yourself.like I said the boat don't move without the chair for a thousand reasons one of which is 8 rod holders in the CENTER off cockpit.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
wlbsr

Post by wlbsr »

Bob H. wrote:Bill, Check it over good, the legs for the footrest pit easily if they're aluminum, cost big $ to replace. My dad gave me his Murray broters chair which Im in the process of rehabbing, I went with the rocket launcher back rest to add more rods for trolling/storage. Make sure you have a good backing plate in or under the deck to anchor it down. The chair does make for a great tool for fishing and when you get back to the dock, a place to sit end enjoy a clear or two.BH
Bob - its def. not a high end chair but for the price seems to be $1-2k cheaper than anything else i have seen. i think these guys have already convinced me, the backing plate was installed with a previous deck redo and i will just have to keep it covered and the parts in the barn when not in use.

one last thing - i would assume that there would be no problem getting a rocket launcher back for this? are they fairly universal at least per company. i dont see this exact chair on the pompanette website (probably discontinued) and dont know the exact model/style other than 80# and pompanette.

Bill
Bill

BERG1474M74J-315
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Hey Bill,

I'd just mention I was able to pick up a Scopinich chair with teak arms, footrest and ladder back for under $500 last winter used craigslist. I ordered a teak rocket launcher from Scopinich and came in under what they are asking for the one you have a link too. Mine is aluminum not stainless as well. The stainless ones are big money but hold up as Bob H mentioned.

Pete
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

I also watched Craigslist and got a New Old Stock Release chair for $1,300. Not a scratch, beautiful teak and foot rest, and original Release cover.
Steve
Steve Marinak
Duchess - 1973 Sportfisherman
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Steve the release chair is beautiful . Have one one 45' cabo I captain . Solid teak actually curved out for seat and rockey launcher .
capt.bob lico
bero13010473