Balancing a slight list

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Jamie MacKenzie

Balancing a slight list

Post by Jamie MacKenzie »

When I bought my '62 Express Cruiser, we found a large lead weight in the hull. The guy installing my new deck took it out. Now, the boat lists by 3-4 inches to starboard at the stern. I imagine that removing the dinette probably unbalanced the boat.

How would you recommend safely balancing it? I may put a refrigerator on the port side--other than that, I'd like to permanently correct the list.
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Re: Balancing a slight list

Post by MarkS »

on a hardley serious note I have the same problem in the absence of my fresh water tank. Slight list to Starboard. I rectify the problem by putting the fat friend on the port.

:)
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Why wouldn't you just put the weight back?
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Jamie MacKenzie

Mr. Oakes kept it. He "couldn't imagine why it was there..."
Harv

Post by Harv »

Jamie MacKenzie wrote:Mr. Oakes kept it. He "couldn't imagine why it was there..."
As Paul Harvey would say..."And now, you know, ......The rest of the story".

I agree with Pete, just put back the lead weight....Permanently...
Harv
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

Move your batteries to port.
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Chanse

Post by Chanse »

I cured a stbd list by adding bags of shot to port abt midship. I think shot comes in 25lb bags
if I remember right. Then when I got the trim right I put them in kitchen type plastic containers
wraped/sealed w/duct tape. Never had a problem since.
Jamie MacKenzie

I flunked physics, so I need your help here...Seems to me that putting the weight further forward would help the boat get up on plane sooner. Am I right? And that the farther outboard I put the weight, the less weight I will need. Thoughts?
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Jamie,
When I got my 1961 Express there was a lead ingot in the Port engine box weighed about 50 pounds bolted to a 2x4 just laying between the outer stringer and hull side. I had it in the boat for years until I changed out the old Chysler 440's with 1997 454 TBFI Mercruisers.
When I removed the ingot the boat had a slight list to Starboard, I added 3 recessed 3 tray tackle boxes under the dinette table. The boxes are recessed into the bulkhead where the cutouts in the plywood under the windows just below the sliding window area. The 3 tray boxes are the only ones that fit because of the curve of the hull(I tried the 5 tray boxes and they don't fit, too wide at the bottom ). Anyway with the 3 boxes full of tackle the list goes away and youv'e got extra built-in tackle storage. I think the boxes were made by Solo products, they are white ABS plastic drop down doors and hold 3 Plano style tackle trays.
So your not alone with the lead ingot, the reason the ingots were there is to offset the weight of all the stuff they put on the starboard side of the express cruiser, the head & sink, galley countertop & sink, breaker panels, ice box and the helm station are all on the same starboard side. You can leave the lead in the boat or go for the tackle box idea, either way you have to compensate for the list.
Pete Fallon
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Add a genset to port, problem solved. If you're like me and keeping things simple (no genset) I added lead tire weights above the outboard stringer to port next to the engine. Keep adding until she sits pretty. Get used weights from your local tire dealer.
Mikey
3/18/1963 - -31-327 factory hardtop express, the only one left.
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein