Generator size and placement on a B28

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Pierre G. Villere

Generator size and placement on a B28

Post by Pierre G. Villere »

Merry Christmas to all! This has been a wonderful and informative site for me, as my trusty mechanic, talented maintenance man, and I kick off the upgrades to my 1989 B28.

I am repowering the boat with a pair of Marine Power gas engines, and want to add a gas generator at the same time. I have looked at the Kohler and Westerbekes, and I am told 3.5 kw is all I need, even to run the CruiseAir. Is this the right size, or should I step up to the 5kw?

Also, the consensus on all of the websites I have read is that the port side of the port engine is the best place for the unit; some even remove the holding tank, replacing it with a 6-gallon tank to remain legal.

Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. You guys are a terrific resource...
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

Hi Perrie,
I have a 31 express powered with 454 gas. I installed a Westerbeke 5KW on the port side. Its a little close but it did fit with about 1-1/2" clearance between the engine and the closest point on the genset. I am very satisfied with this choice. So far I only run a 16000 BTU Marvair AC unit but intend to add other appliances later. The 5 KW unit is Freshwater cooled, runs at 1800 RPM and is unbeliveablely quiet and smooth.

The Westerbeke 3KW unit is powered by an "Outboard Motor" and the generator is belt driven and is seawater cooled.

I don't know how much room you have but My recommendation is the 5 KW if it will fit.

I am very satisfied with my choice.

Check it out on this website below you can get dimensions and everything here.

http://www.westerbeke.com/products/gene ... cfm?gen=19

Harry Babb
Pierre G. Villere

Post by Pierre G. Villere »

Thank you for the advice, Harry...Merry Christmas!
Hal

Post by Hal »

I had a Kohler/Yanmar 5kw in my 28 and was very happy with it. It was mounted under the center hatch between the engines and was completely serviceable.

Good luck.