Poor Mans Stabilisers

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Keith Poe

Poor Mans Stabilisers

Post by Keith Poe »

Hey Guys this is a post i did on another site i wanted to share here just in case anyone is interested.

I rigged up some Z-Wings with double 400# mono leaders 20' long with 800# snap swivels and attach them to my 16' Hawaiian out riggers on the first eye bolt on each side about 4' out approximately 16' spread on a 8' beam.

The out riggers are mounted on maximisers very strong with a lot of backing on the 24' fly bridge Skip jack.

I tossed them in at the same time in some pretty rough seas offshore at night.

I was drifting and slow trolling with the double Z-wings one on each side.

I already had a good idea of how much pressure they exert from using them all the time deep trolling.

Next trip i will hook the load cell to them and see exactly how much pressure they are exerting.

The small boat tends to roll a lot in rough conditions and prevents me from relaxing because if i get sideways if the current switches or wind shifts or the drift sock fail i could roll over and sink like a rock.

I looked at a lot of paravane systems but they required a lot of heavy hardware and light weight systems like flopper stoppers are made for drifting or at anchor.

Weight is an issue i'm over loaded as it is and have to cull before every trip just to pack on fuel three tanks on the little boat plus generator and many more 5 gallon cans.

When i was thinking about how they might perform before i tried them mainly because i already had them it seemed to me they should work but i did not expect them to work as well as they did.

About one third to half the rolling was gone sweet difference to my delight.

Talked to a severail guys including commercial guys in Morrow bay said i was crazy gonna die and all that lol.

I'll rig them up on the 31' Bertram and attach the digital load cell and push up the trolling speed a few knots and see what it reads and let you know.

The out riggers were not flexing at all while drifting and slow trolling up to 5 knots while leadering a fish.

I have had to go in because i could not drift with out rolling even with a drift sock and large parachute i could only keep it stable under power down swell but with the relatively inexpensive dampening system it's a game changer.

For anyone who is not familiar with paravane systems if you do not set it up right and one fails you then have a system that will greatly increase instability and can be life threatening so be careful with reward comes risk and a lot of responsibility.

Z-Wings are hydrodynamic made for trolling with weighted down force.

I have no affiliation with Z-Wing http://www.zwingdownrigger.com/

Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Buju

Re: Poor Mans Stabilisers

Post by Buju »

Nice ingenuity there Keith.
Those z wings do exert an amazing amount of downward force- can see that setup working nicely.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Buju wrote:Nice ingenuity there Keith.
Those z wings do exert an amazing amount of downward force- can see that setup working nicely.

Thanks Buju

every blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then
Sportsmen Conservation Sustainable Harvest Accountability Integrity with the spirit of a Warrior.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Keath, we used that setup all the time when I was working on a commercial shrimp boat here in NC. We called them the "birds" because of their wing shape. Be sure you run them deep enough 'cause if one breaks the surface in a deep trough, it becomes a deadly projectile!
Bruce
Site Admin

Post by Bruce »

Two words.......

Rocker Stoppers :-P
Tony Meola

Post by Tony Meola »

Bruce wrote:Two words.......

Rocker Stoppers :-P
Bruce

Lets not go there.
1975 FBC BERG1467-315
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

I didn't think the rocker stoppers were good for slow trolling ?

I read a lot about paravanes from the research done on them by the Canadian government because of all the losses associated with them they can be deadly if used improperly.

What is great about the Z-wings is they are so inexpensive comparatively speaking and can be used on heavy duty outriggers.

I also have to use a parachute when i'm way outside in rough seas and to assist the AP steering when deep drop slow trolling.

I found a really inexpensive heavy duty parachute i use it every time i go out, it's great and only like $15.00 rated at like 1200# or around their.

Here is an old video with a little of the sand bag in it

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=239 ... =2&theater

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

That engine sounds a little like it came out of the African Queen.....
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Buju

Post by Buju »

mike ohlstein wrote:That engine sounds a little like it came out of the African Queen.....
Sounds identical to my B20, GM 350 with exhaust straight thru the transom.
I don't know what the world may want,
But a good stiff drink it surely dont,
Think I'll go and fix myself...a tall one.
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

It's a 1998 Mercruiser 7.4 MPI i bought on E-Bay from the great lakes area with only 200 hours on it and now has about 300 hours on it installed last year with 4" x 30" S/S straight pipes.

Shes pretty quiet till she gets going Image
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

I sure hope that picture was taken on the day you installed it. Cuz if it's that clean today, we're gonna have to take up a collection to get you to a doctor......
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Keith Poe

Post by Keith Poe »

Much cleaner today that was after the rough install before the spit shine and deck cleaning from the install.

B-4 i close up the 31-B i need to spend some time on the motors they needs some love.