Cabo Black & Green Fishing Tournament October 28-31 2012

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Cabo Black & Green Fishing Tournament October 28-31 2012

Post by MarkS »

transfered from the old board.
===================================================================================================================================

Just wanted to offer an invite to any of the faithful again to join in the Cabo Black & Green Charity Fishing Tournament. This year it will be held the last week of October with the captains meeting on Sunday the 28th, fishing on the 29th and 30th and the banquet and charity auction on the 31st which by the way is Halloween and always gets to be a very cool time in Cabo.

Captains meeting takes about an hour and then there is a meal and of course some socializing then off to bed so you can be on your game at 6am. The banquet consists of a little mic time with hopefully some humor from yours truely. Then we have an awesome meal at Desperado's just a block off the marina and easy walking from many of the resorts. That is followed by the auction which usually, and this year will be no different, offers many resort stay packages, fine dining, great spa experiences along with lots of fun items like charters, fishing equiptment and other misc items. Almost all money raised goes to the kids of Cabo in forms of food, clothing and we are also assisting in the building of kitchens at some of the elemntary schools to feed the little nippers. We do also give a small portion to the local Humane Society.

The fishing has been awesome in October with our event a few years back being smack in the middle of the massive influx of stripeys to the Golden Gate and the world record setting 190 marlin caught in one day.
Fishing can be counted on from being good to being off the hook!! We are placed nicely between the Bisbee Black and Blue and the WON Tuna Jackpot two of the richest tourney's in the world.

With all that said the event is truely a charity and the cost is nill. We ask for $100 per team and this money is used to pay out 1st 2nd and 3rd place trophies as well as money for the top three Captain/Mate crews as incentive to bust their asses a little harder, $300 1st place, $200 2nd and $100 for third. The remaining ends up for misc expenses or donated to the kiddies.

I am happy to help with finding accomadations setting up charters as well as recommendations for dining, sight seeing or my specialty watering holes!

We like to see 4 man teams to defer expenses but it is not manditory. I think I calculated a few years back that if you had a four man team, expenses for two days fishing, tips, bait and misc liquids while fishing could be done for about $375ish per person based on 31 ft BOAT!

Anyone interested can PM me or respond to this post and I would be happy to help not to mention have the pleasure of expanding my list of B31 friends.

All the best,
Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
MarkS

Re: Cabo Black & Green Fishing Tournament October 28-31 2012

Post by MarkS »

A cut and paste from http://www.Bloodydecks.com regarding Renegade Mikes latest Tuna hunt. The bite is on in Cabo for Marlin from the arch to the Golden Gate and the Tuna bite is from San Jaime to the 95 spot and other notorious haunts as well. Just another reason for you guys to come play with us late October! Pictures there as well. http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-m ... eport.html
========================================================================================================================================

I will try and make this short as we had a very long day today and I need to get to bed to go do it all over again in the morning.

It was an adventurous day on the water here in the cabo area today. It rained all night last night and was raining when I got up at 4:30am. I called Bill Markel, our fishing client for the day, at 5:00am and told him that it was not as bad as it looked. The wind was not blowing real hard and the rain might very well stop by the time we leave the slip and head out to sea.

Bill was game so we made plans to get an early start. Well the rain did stop while we got the boat ready and we shoved off at around 6:15am. The wind was not to bad ( about 8 knts out of the SE) but the seas were very lumpy with about a 6 to 8ft contrasting seas. We get out about 5 miles and here comes the rain. Man did it come down on us hard. It poured on us for a good 20mins before it started to let up.

I asked Bill what he wanted to fish for. Telling him we had an option to fish close to the beach on the pacific side and get into some good action on med size dorado, some football tuna and maybe a marlin or two. Bill said the reason he booked me was to chase after those bigger grade of tuna that roam these waters at this time of year. I told him that they were not around in big numbers yet but I was game if he was. I mentioned that when we sometimes go for the home run there is a chance we might strike out and not get much of anything. We would have to head well offshore and we might get beat up in the process. He said lets go offshore and hope for the best.

We were only about 10 miles just outside the 95 bank when we started to see several birds heading out real fast about 10 degs to the right of us so I changed course to see what the heck these birds were up to and sure enough they lead us to a huge school of mixed spinner and spotted porpoise. We worked the school in the rain for about one hour and only had one 30lb tuna to show for our efforts.

I told my crew to get the kite ready as I was seeing some good fat single meter marks on the Furuno sounder. Not allot of fish on the sounder but enough to let me know there was some bigger fish around. My Crew looked at me and laughed and said yea right your going to fly the kite in the rain. I said as soon as this rain stops I want the kite ready and as soon as the rain stopped we put the kite out and it was not 5 mins when we got our first kite hit. It was a est 65lb tuna. I gave my crew that trash talking look like I told you there was some bigger fish here. I love it when I am right which does not happen all the time. fishing is fishing and we sometimes live and die by your decisions. We put the kite out right away and got a couple of smaller 30lb fish. Our fourth kite hit was a bigger fish. it came completely out of the water and pounced on the Yummee flying fish. I called it at around 120lbs but my mate said easy 150lbs.
This fish took a good hard run and then started some real big head shakes. Bill was finally getting used to using the full harness and was pulling hard on this fish. Our kite rod is an 80wide real loaded with 200lb spectra and a short 30ft topshot of 200lb line. some might say thats over kill but hey when that 300lb tuna hits I want to be ready.

Bill got that fish to withen 50 ft of the boat and the dam hooked pulled. We ended up with 8 kite fish hooked 2 lost near the boat. Biggest one landed was a 77.1lb tuna ( first fish I weighed on my brand new IGFA certified Scale Master 11 scale) one that went an est 65lbs and the rest were around 25 to 30 lbs.

Not a bad day considering the weather we had. I have another hard core single client for tomorrow. He wants to go for the homerun and thats what I love to hear. Don't get me worng and can go fish for tiny ass dorado and small football tuna all day long if thats what they want to do but going after trophy fish is what really gets me the most excited and if we strike out so be it. At least we know we tried.
Well so much for trying to make this short.

Big tuna are hear guys and girls so if your coming to cabo to fish for a few days go ahead to try and hit that homerun you might just hit one out of the park. Also for those of you that have never used a full harness to fight the bigger fish that are around here. go ahead and give it a try sometime. you will be amazed at how easy it is after you get it down. You have so much more control about what you are doing.

Good luck and good fishing.
Mikey T

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

More stuff from Renegade Mike. 200 lb yellowfin and a Blue Marlin of late!

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-m ... -cabo.html

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/baja-m ... arlin.html

Are you uttering the itch yet?

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

278lb yellowfin caught off the 31 Bertram "Redrum" in Cabo yesterday

MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Would imagine most of you have already heard about the new world record tuna?

http://www.bdoutdoors.com/story/world-r ... wfin-tuna/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;