What size anchor?

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Mhiggins

What size anchor?

Post by Mhiggins »

Looking to get another anchor for the boat and was wondering what you guys use. I am over here on Lake St. Clair in Michigan, bottom goes between hard sand, muck ( mud ), and tons of weeds. I have an Fortress FX-23 and it is too big. Going down to either a Fortress FX-16 or even maybe an FX-11. Mostly I use the anchor when I take friends out to swim so the bottom will mostly be hard sand 90% of the time. Need some advise please. Thanks.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I asked this question a few months back and ended up with a FX-16. Haven't used it yet but it seems to be the right size if you are going with a Fortress.

Search under "Cleats and Anchor" started back in march...for more detail.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Carl

Post by Carl »

I use an FX16 and anchor in Mud and Sand with great results. It is on the larger side...but rather it be that way. I carry a smaller lunch hook for a backup and the beach.

In my neck of the woods I see a limited amount of weed and grass...but the few times I have had to deal with it I didn't think the danforth was the best choice...but I did not do a hands on comparative test...only saw other boats from the area with Bruce anchors drop and set where I had to pull up, clear off flukes and try again and again.

My thought with this in mind...I'd carry whatever holds best in the waters you travel...in the event of an emergency like getting caught in a storm and having motors die or pick up a line in the props, you want to be able to drop hook and have it set immediately...not play games trying to clear it.

Going to the beach on a nice day and don't want to deal with the extra size anchor...toss a lunch hook. I keep a small hook with 150 feet of line and a couple feet of chain that stows away nicely and holds me just fine on nice days.