Anchor storage

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

Hyena Love

Anchor storage

Post by Hyena Love »

In the last three seasons, I have never anchored. My anchor is mounted on the front deck in chocks, and I have 25 feet of chain up there as well.

Now, I am simply sick and tired of it being up there, and the beating the chain is delivering to my deck is rough water. Plus, the staining/cleaning issues. As the Old Man says, the anchor is the ugliest part of the boat, so get it the F off the front deck.

But, the anchor will not easily fit in any of my deck existing hatches. Even if it would easily fit in a hatch under the deck, now I have to build some sort of cradle or have it banging around down there.

I want to just store it in the cabin/rest room, already rigged with the rode, so if God forbid I need it, I can deploy from the cockpit.

Hence, my question, you guys that store the anchor and rode in the cockpit or cabin, what kinda container are you using? Fish baskets, laundry baskets, what? I want to coil the line at the bottom, then coil the chain, then put the anchor on top, so if the SHTF and I need to anchor, I can merely attach the end of the rode to a line rigged to the bow chock, and rapidly deploy.

I have searched my local home depot and loews, and I'm not finding any particularly useful containers other than those recycling bins.

Thanks in advance.
captbone

Post by captbone »

I use these and love them. Very durable and hold 600ft of 1/2+ without a problem.

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 4,243.html
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

try hamilton marine
www.hamiltonmarine.com
or why not go windless
1968 hull # 316 - 757
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Walter is our resident expert on anchoring from the cockpit.i use a laundry basket with large danfort. And 28' of chain that is thrown overboard from starboard side of cockpit.easily coiled in basket as I drive boat into retrieval ring.anchor rope drains nicely threw basket.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
MarkS
Location: The Frozen Tundra/EX-democratic stronghold Wisconsin

Post by MarkS »

I was contemplating this all a few weeks ago and got a couple of great suggestions here as I was deciding on where to mount the chocks.

You can remount the chocks so the end of the anchor is only an inch or two away from the hawse pipe and toss the rope, rode and all down in the bow hold.

Just another angle to look at it,

Mark
72 Bertram 25 FBC "Razorsharp" Hull #254-1849
Things of quality have no fear of time.

Bondage to spiritual faith faith to great courage courage to liberty liberty to abundance abundance to complacency to apathy to dependence to bondage
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Mark that is what I'm planning on doing. I bought stainless chain to avoid rust problems in the future.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Out our way the commercial guys use a circular basket that is just a heavy duty laundry basket. It holds no water, nor should anything that will hold wet rope.