Topside progress

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

PeterPalmieri

Topside progress

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Here are some photos. I snuck into Raybo today during lunch time.

And some before photos.

Looking forward to seeing the paint and nonskid done and new hardware installed. Raybo, Robs shop is doing the work.
1969 31 Bertram FBC "East Wind" hull #315939
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

Peter,

Just curious, what do you plan on using for a bow chock? Do you have the original?
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I bought an original bow chock from one of the guys on the site and Rob sent it to Nassau Chrome, he said he got it back and it looks great but I haven't seen it yet. I also ordered new lenses from High tide marine.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Peter,

looking good
are you putting a bow rail back on?

Spencer
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm not planning on it. I really like the lines without it but if functionality dictates I'm not opposed to adding one at a later date.
conchy joe

Post by conchy joe »

Looking good.
Troy & Daria

28 Bertram FBC, 3.9 Cummin BT's

Conchy Joe "ITS THE BOAT'S NAME, NOT MINE" -
Hypoluxo Point, FL
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

peter
you going to be ready for the bass
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Charlie,

The little boat is ready to go when this wind dies down and I'm itching to get out I'm hoping for Friday or Saturday. Generally I like to focus on the flats fishing until 4th of july anyway.

I'd guess two or three weeks Rob will be done and I can haul it over to the mechanic to figure out the carry over from the fall that I have air getting into the fuel line, hoping to get that thru hull and sure flow for the live well in and that's it for projects.
spencer

Post by spencer »

Peter, is the gelcoat on your boat spidercracking, because if it is I am pretty sure you need to take everything back to to green glass to prevent the cracks from coming through the new topcoat
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

peter should be ready by next week if you and bob want to go just give a shout, the majority of them are still west
1968 hull # 316 - 757
John F.

Post by John F. »

Nice progress Pete. Looking good.
1968 B20 Moppie - Hull # 201-937
1969 B31 FBC - Hull # 315-881 (sold)
1977 B31 FBC - Hull # BERG1652M77J
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

spencer wrote:Peter, is the gelcoat on your boat spidercracking, because if it is I am pretty sure you need to take everything back to to green glass to prevent the cracks from coming through the new topcoat
Spencer The only part of the boat with spider cracking is the tow rail On the side of the house and it was all ground down. Raybo has done many of these boats so I'm confident he's done what needs to be done to avoid issue.
Capt.Frank

Post by Capt.Frank »

Looking good Peter
1976 FBC
3208 NA
Harry Babb

Post by Harry Babb »

I am sure that you will be very proud when its done.

Coming from a rookie, I can tell you that a lot of work has gone into what we are seeing in your pics Peter.

Its gonna be sweet! ! !

hb
hb
Joe E

Post by Joe E »

looking good, I have an original bow rail if anybody wants it. Joe
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Peter, you inspire us all to continue to be the faithful stewards that Uncle Vic so proudly speaks of. Keep up the great work!
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The reality is while this is a costly and time consuming job it's a small piece of the overall project and not something I could afford each and every year. Hopefully I can take a year off from bigger work, save my pennies and work on the bridge for the 2014 season. The plan is all contingent on my old gassers holding out until the majority of the cosmetics are where I want them to be.

I've got so many other questions for those who have done this already but short of a winning lotto ticket it's so far down the road.

What I really need to figure out short term is my rod holder situation so I can fish comfortably. Just have two original rod holders on the bridge rail and the old deck plate for a pedestal or chair. Hate to spend money for a short term fix and don't have the money for the right solution nor am I convinced I have a good plan for my needs.
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Peter- I suspect you won't know your needs yet as you generally discover them from lots of personal use. I have discovered the bridge rail rod holders are used for nothing else but rod storage. Usually rigged for immediate use. You will be a family of four, and logically when going out with pals, there will usually be about four. I have found four rod holders on the gunnels with (in my case) two on my chair are more than enough "active" rods for trolling offshore. Chaos reigns on multiple hook-ups anyway. Bass trolling is usually 2 rods on the corners. Drifting/bait fishing is usually a rod per person. Good luck no matter what you do. Walter
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Thanks Walter. The obvious is rods are fished in the gunnels or held by someone fishing. I've already found that getting rods to and from the bridge is not convenient unless I consider mounting something on the edge of the brow even then it's a reach. I could retrofit to my half tower but that would be out of the way storage not an easy grab as you said.

The likely solution is a rocket launcher or small chair. Even the smaller chairs with a launcher are very pricey, many advantages I see. Younger nephews and eventually my own down the road along with older folks like my Dad can benefit from a chair even on small fish. With a reverse launcher you can spin the chair and use the chair as a rigging station or to store tackle as well. A pedestal launcher will obviously save space and is more budget friendly.

A great solution for me would be the Battle saddle from Release, a decent hybrid

http://releasemarine.com/collection/cat ... tle-saddle

They are priced at $6000 on the Melton site, that's more then 2x the price of Bob's Tracy chair, way out of my league.
mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Post by mike ohlstein »

PeterPalmieri wrote:The plan is all contingent on my old gassers holding out until the majority of the cosmetics are where I want them to be.
Marine narcissism is something I've never understood. Hell, I don't mind if something is pretty......but it HAS TO run right. There are plenty of pretty boats that never leave the dock because the owner can't afford to fix the engines. But whatever.....

I've used a chair like this, and I give it good reviews.

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1972795
Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
In Memory Walter K

Post by In Memory Walter K »

Peter- In the days of big Tuna, I put in a pedestal mounted big Tournament chair. Yes it is big, and I'm not advocating that now, but I rarely go out or come back without someone sitting in it. It saves my ass with novices especially in rocky seas. Arms are a must or someone (especially kids) will get thrown out of it. In cases of Mal-de-mer, it is far better for the victim to be outside in a chair trying to recover, than inside a claustrophobic cabin area (which seems to speed up the process) and having them throw up there rather than overboard. Even a folding one with a gimball at first might help you make a more expensive decision later.
Carl

Post by Carl »

Love the look of a Chair in the cockpit of a 31, that Battle Saddle would look absolutely Awesome. However, even if for free, I'd take a pass.

It just clutters up the cockpit. Yes, if you get a Chair or Saddle there will not be a time you go out when someone does not claim it their Chair. Yes people like to fish from it...even little blues.
But-
-Go out with a bunch of people and that one chair takes up too much real estate.
-Can't get a folding chair on the sides of it.
-People need to be limber to get over the footrest bars...so for dad, it can be a mixed blessing.
-For "One" kid it is great..."two" kids gives you another reason to call it a fighting chair.

I like the chair Mike showed...but I prefer something you can store inside cause others will like it too.

Personally I like the simple Canvas folding chairs, gunwales and motor boxs for seating.

Pole holders...unless your going for giants there are a few nice Solid Cast SS Pole holders on the Market for a good deal less then Lee's...just use backing plates. A simple layout may be two on the sides and a single, centered in the transom. If you want more down the road it can always be done if you layout with that idea in mind.

Obviously this is only my opinion...been down this road before. Pulled out the chair against the wishes of everyone. Pulled the old Lees in favor of several HD SS Cast Holders. Added a couple more as I felt the need.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Carl I'm all set on my gunnel mounted rod holders. It's a matter of chair or pedestal or nothing I guess. If I do go with a chair it will likely be something like what Bob has on Phoenix, small, low and no footrest, sailfish style chair. Otherwise everything else points to a rocket launcher with a rigging tray.
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

peter
i use the rocket launcher with rigging table and draw, put the cooler under table, room to move around. i also put my live well under one side of it
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

Peter, Thats alot of holes you plugged up...lookin good..clean and simple always looks sweet...bh
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Carl I would not own the boat without the chair! again this is not a regular fishing chair. The owner of Tracy,Todd and 4 other firms was the former owner of this boat. The chair was custom built for the boat.two people side by side can walk around the entire chair,the footrest is the cockpit sole! All functions for fishing center on this chair. For those of you who ever sat on a see-saw as a child realize the least amount of movement is in the center.for this reason every sport fisherman in the world rigs and operates from the chair mainly the rocket launcher in back of the chair holding the 4 rods you are rigging or changing. Unless you are in a lake damn foolish to rig on the gunwale with out knowing when a wave is coming from now are can take you out.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob correct me if I'm wrong. It seems like your chair is a sailfish chair or standard chair without the brackets for the foot rest. Narrow seat maybe 19" with a 14" pedestal and reverse rocket launcher?

I called Pompanette yesterday, sailfish chair, 80lb chair without footrest and 14" pedestal can be had for $3100 jumps up to $4400 with the rocket launcher. Their 80lb chair can be had at west marine or defender for $3300 plus $1500 for the rocket launcher. All in $4800.

I've been poking around looking for a good used chair which would seem to be the best deal.
Craig Mac

Post by Craig Mac »

You can find good deals on Craigs list and E-bay. Used the saved search function on E-bay and something will come up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fighting-Chair- ... 00&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishing-fightin ... 4c&vxp=mtr
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Craig on my way to check this one out in a few hours

http://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/2953853434.html
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

it should be pointed out there are 8 zillion fishing boats out there however unlike all the rest a 31 bertram is unique with a very low freeboard and this is what you exploit when you put a chair in the cockpit of a 31bertram. used for fishing it is the fact that the chair holds 6 rods in the center of the cockpit so when you finish trolling and set up for chunking or inshore you change to live lining or jigging you can lean on the back of the rocket launcher to tie that double spider hitch to go from braid to mono with the boat drifting and moving with waves off beam or boat wakes. with no footrest (don`t need it with low freeboard ) you rig then put rods in rod holder.
carl the chair becomes your" coffee table" in the center of living room with the Todd two drink holders into one rod holder.you put your drinks in the center of boat so you don`t drop the damn glasses off the engine cover/ gunwale.the chair holds 12 drinks with complete safety from the lithe ones running around or adult drunks while at the dock.the 31bertram has a huge cockpit for activity this is how you take advantage of it .i am sure you cannot have much of a social gathering inside the cabin this is the only way to go!!.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob,

You don't have to sell me on the idea, seems like it will be cheaper for me to buy used and modify rather then buy new. Remove the footrest, buy a shortened pedestal and add a rocket launcher down the road. We'll see what this one looks like.

Seems like it could be a scopinich based on the emblem on the footrest can anyone confirm?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

the chair has a 1/2" ss plate on sole and a 2' by 2' fishplate under sole. sea tow can use it as a samson to tow a yacht with!!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

As Walter pointed out ,there are many out there whom cannot appear on the tv show deadleous catch. They always sit in the chair when I go to fire island .you know the inner ear thing and the movement of the water.the mothers in our tribe hold the baby and feel it is the best place on the boat to avoid motion sickness and of course my wife with RA when on board takes "grandma's chair." Peter you can contact me and take measurement or borrow the chair ------ whatever
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Well for short money this scopinich is in my car. Just needs a backing plate.

Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

nice pete
1968 hull # 316 - 757
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

It's funny Charlie, debating options aside it was just to good of a deal close to home to pass up.

The pedestal is welded to what I think is a 6 hole 8" base plate, I need to remove what I have and have a backing plate made up. Would love some thoughts on the size of the plate. I'm hoping I can do it without having to remove the deck.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I'm hoping I can access it from the rear hatch.

Rawleigh

Post by Rawleigh »

Peter: As big as you can fit under there. If the plate is thick enough tap it for the bolts.
Rawleigh
1966 FBC 31
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

I believe the deck is 1/2 marine ply with teak over the top. The existing plate is smaller then the one on this chair. I'll have to get my hand under there and see how the access is. I could also bring it over to Raybo while they are installing the existing hardware and "put it on my tab"....
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Or contact SIM or harry babb both on this board and they will make a adapter plate from existing to what you have on chair. Make it thick enough for thread and you can remove chair each winter and keep in basement. Remove footrest and cut stand to height to have a rod in hand and clear transom with line.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bob that's probably the best way to do it but I'm thinking since I'm in a very public marina a more permanent installation may be safer. What do you think bob? You know where she is.
Carl

Post by Carl »

When we put the chair in the boat I have...before I owned it. We ran an Alum Channel (10-12" wide from what I remember) over the tank going down the sides, thru bolting into the Stringers. From the top of the Channel we made up a spacer that thru bolted into the channel. Then bolted the Pedestal to that Spacer, sandwiching the floor in between.

This made for one very secure chair...which was needed as boat was being rigged for giants back in the day they used chairs.

Bob, I love your chair! Looks great, no wood to oil, small and looks sturdy. If I had that in my cockpit, I may have left it in. But chances are pretty good that it too would have went bye bye.

I personally like the open space. I drink my drinks before putting down, I Rig off the motor boxes.

Pete, looks like you got yourself a good deal, best of luck with it!

Carl
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Sim,

Your the expert do you think a 2x2 1/2" plate through bolted is sufficient?
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

No way in hell there going to steal the chair. Thieves think quick money like electronics .your boat is exposed to public eyes ot in abide away marina. Both Carl and Harry will set you up with torq screws to defeat the "honest thieves"they also make it so easy to remove with corespondent socket set..
Be it as it may you can easily adapt a rocket launcher to the back of chair.buy separate rocket launcher and pen weld will weld to up rights and eliminate backrest.
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

The backrest is a quick removal, when I'm ready scopinich makes a drop in rocket launcher that will fit the chair, no modification needed. For the time being I'll be happy with the 4 strike arm gimbles when money allows the rocket launcher will give me another 4. 8 in the center of the boat.

I can now consider in the future having the rod holders up out of the way on the bridge like chimera. I may be able to retro fit to my tower, I'll follow up with a photo.
PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Potentially remove old rail and fit to rear legs on existing tower.

PeterPalmieri

Post by PeterPalmieri »

Bookmark this for myself

http://www.bertram31.com/proj/tips/pedistal.htm

Thanks Cap!
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

pete you done good, you cant go wrong
1968 hull # 316 - 757
JP Dalik

Post by JP Dalik »

There are few boats in the world under 40ft that can dwarf an 80-130lb class chair in their cockpits.

A B31 FBC is one of them. Without the footrest the cockpit is still spacious. With 4 in the arms and a 4 rod rocket launcher you have 8 rods and none in the gunnels. Not to mention you have a seat to place things on (don't forget the rubber mat- don't want to scratch it)

I personally like the seat mounted high enough so that a 144qt cooler can fit under it the forward edge (under the backrest) Also make it high enough so a 3 or 5 Gallon bucket can be slid under the striking gimbals or better yet hung from one on each side. These tips will help keep the cockpit uncluttered and allow you to make the most of your fighting chair. For us the seat is about the same height as the gunnels and works well. Its high enough to allow 280 degrees of tip clearance with a bent rod, it also allows the buckets and bait cooler to store under its footprint. The height also allows a bent butt to come horizontal out of the gimbal and not contact the gunnels- this normally occurs during the set up phase as the angler transitions into the gimble and bucket.

Height is a non issue for small anglers as long as the footrest is adjusted properly:

As far as building a bridge rail with holders in it is concerned. I think its a great idea, you have enough room for seven or 8 of those things the way its laid out right now. Good thinking
KR

JP
1977 RLDT "CHIMERA"