Tuna Boys

The Main Sand Box for bertram31.com

Moderators: CaptPatrick, mike ohlstein, Bruce

mike ohlstein
Site Admin
Location: So many things seem like no-brainers until you run into someone with no brain.

Tuna Boys

Post by mike ohlstein »

Mike
Mean Team Leader
PREDATOR

Burn Oil
Eat Food
1973 FBC 1286 0273-315
Charlie J

Post by Charlie J »

this looks interesting, coming in april, getting tired of the worm hole, lol
1968 hull # 316 - 757
Harv

Post by Harv »

DVR is already programmed!!
Harv
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Guy's,
I used to fish along side one of the principals of the show, Billy Monty on the Bounty Hunter, he had a 28 Topaz back in the early 70's. He was a good fisherman back then, let's see what the TV producers did to his ego now. I wish Ed Murray was still alive to see this program, he and Frankie were the best rod & reel tuna fisherman I ever fished against.
1961 Express Vizcaya Hull 186 12-13-61
dougl33

Post by dougl33 »

Bill used to belong to my yacht club. I was out on his 32 BF a couple of times after he repowered it with Cummins.
Regards,

Doug L.
TailhookTom

Post by TailhookTom »

Understatement there Pete -- if the Cookie Too was fishing - everyone else was fishing for 2nd place. Much like the New York Yankees in the American League East (just to stir up the pot a little)!!!!
ianupton

Post by ianupton »

Haven't watched yet, but you can watch entire episode here.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... -premiere/

Ian.
Brewster Minton

Post by Brewster Minton »

This show is going to cause alot of people to protest tuna fishing. Its no good. I was asked to be on the show.
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Pete Fallon wrote:Guy's,
I used to fish along side one of the principals of the show, Billy Monty on the Bounty Hunter, he had a 28 Topaz back in the early 70's. He was a good fisherman back then, let's see what the TV producers did to his ego now. I wish Ed Murray was still alive to see this program, he and Frankie were the best rod & reel tuna fisherman I ever fished against.
Pete, I used to fish next to Billy also, still do when I manage to get out. After I sold my old bertram express, I bought Billy's 32 blackfin, the original bounty hunter. I've had fish under the boat while chunking but was having trouble getting them to bite. He and Donna trolled by me on the new boat (both are bounty hunter) and he pulled a fish right out from under me. It was only a rat, be he got it to bite when i couldn't. The Murray bro's stand head and shoulders above the rest of them. But Billy and Donna are at the top of the tier below them.

Hope all's well with the knee.
Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Bob H.

Post by Bob H. »

They went along way for bluefin...157 miles...just wondering why the thresher was hangin off one of the boats...bet that footage was waaaaaay inshore...just makin good tv...Brew I would have loved to see you and the Princess on my big screen...leaving all those 15 knot duffys in your wake...BH
1966 31 Bahia Mar #316-512....8 years later..Resolute is now a reality..Builder to Boater..285 hours on the clocks..enjoying every minute..how many days till spring?
Harv

Post by Harv »

Bob H. wrote:They went along way for bluefin...157 miles...just wondering why the thresher was hangin off one of the boats...bet that footage was waaaaaay inshore...just makin good tv...Brew I would have loved to see you and the Princess on my big screen...leaving all those 15 knot duffys in your wake...BH
My sentiments exactly..on both counts. The first time I saw a trailer for the show....Brewster came to my mind!!
Harv
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Joe A,
Was your old express cruiser the old aqua color one that Jeff S had in Beverly back in the late 70's.
I still miss the fishing on the bank, the curl and the shipping lanes, whale shows were increadible back then.
I finally found out that the plastic insert in the fake knee is breaking down and causing all my problems, found old operational notes from 2007 and 2009 that they found peices of plastic when they drained the knee, nobody caught it or didn't think it was relevent back then. Now they are scrambling to find something to fix the problem.
I watched the Tuna Boys on the computer last week, It seems counter productive to go 157 miles for a 157 pound rat. I used to complain about going 30 miles to catch fish, most of the time it was only 20 miles and the fish were alot bigger 750, 800 and 1000 pounders were the norm, but the prices were only $2.00 a pound. Caught a 980 back in 1982 and got $2.50 a pound for a grade A fish and thought I was doing good, inflation's a bitch, gas was only $1.50 a gallon not $ 5.00 like now. Happy Easter to all.
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete I want you to look at mako surgical corp. they have reinvented the wheel in the knee and hip replacement surgery . They are training hospital medical staff as we speak. Really looks promising for a guy like you with failures in past.----------- happy easter
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
offshore31

Post by offshore31 »

Hi Pete

Nope, mine was the old horse eye out of Niantic Ct.

that 980 back in '82 is/was a nice fish. there are still some pigs around, just not like back then. we still fish the old haunts (outer flag, the curl, etc), and have even gotten a few. but the size is down. my last fish was 2 yrs ago (didn't fish last year) and it dressed at 285. hate to kill a fish that small. and to run to georges for fish like that is ridiculous.

hope they're able to fix your knee. i'm 5 yrs into my first, and i worry about that plastic breaking down. maybe its worth looking into the guys Bob Lico mentions?

good luck!
Joe
Joe A.
lurker (ex-b31r)
Pete Fallon

Post by Pete Fallon »

Bob,
I'll look into the Mako Surgical Corp, thanks.
Pete
bob lico

Post by bob lico »

Pete the company has been extremely successful passing all the Feds testing and became a shining star on wall street . The company is rock solid according to investor business daily . I would imagine one of the big drug companies are taking notes due to the tremendous success and quick recovery time reported.No plastic!!
capt.bob lico
bero13010473
gplume

Post by gplume »

I think the Shearwater used to hang out in that neiborhood many years ago. I've got a picture of her with a super long sword stand, and commercial numbers on the tower....plus a bluefin receipt fom a Japanese broker out of Brewster. I am pretty sure she was based out of Mass bay somewhere. I can see how the vertical rod holders worked.....not having ever used them myself, just needed a visual to get the whole picture.
Giff